Light-O-Rama Forums

rgb prototype

caniac

is there any easy inexpensive way to build a smaller version of a RGB pixel.  I have a prototype prop for Christmas and I am thinking of lighting it with 5 individual pixels.  Don't want to spend a ton of money now for something that I might not want or won't work.  If it works like I want then look out.

how small are you trying to make it?  If anyone can make a driver smaller I would contact David_AVD or AAH over on the aussie boards.

how small are you trying to make it?  If anyone can make a driver smaller I would contact David_AVD or AAH over on the aussie boards.

not so much small but am thinking only 5 individual pixels spaced 6" apart and than whatever hardware to connect it to the LOR network.

thats a lot of hardware for only 5 pixels?  Do you have anything else running on the 1.31 or DMX?  If your running all LOR hardware its going to be expensive just for 5 pixels.

Are we talking smart pixels or dumb? If dumb, just buy some RGB LEDs and wire them parallel. Hook them up to a DC controller. If the smart type, I know that they build a RGB pixel on top of a control chip. Might be able to mount the pixel node on what ever your display item is, then run two wires for power and a data and might need a wire for the clock. But as you know, will need some form of controller to send the clock and or just the data.

With out knowning for sure what your up to. I would suggest just use some RGB LEDs. And then use a DC controller. Could have 5 items per controller.

If you already have a DMX universe, get this http://www.holidaycoro.com/27-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/24.htm along with what ever RGB led you need. Use this: http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LEDcalc.html to determine what resistors you need to run the leds with 12V.

I think you need to clearly explain what your wanting to do with this element and how you want the 5 LEDs to function, do you want them to function as one or as individual lights. Do you want the controller to be stand alone or run through DMX, What effects are you wanting to achieve???

Edited by edvas69