Light-O-Rama Forums

hello im a newbie

bizket666

hello im from the ukquick question i have orded my first lor controler i was planning on using 13mm static rope light for the lighting i whant but i have forund the http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-and-coating-RGB/329544925.html led strip what i want to know is can i use these direct off the controler and wire the rgb to 3 diffrent channels and us a 12v transformer to power them?

thanks for any help

The rope light will work with your controller assuming you bought an AC controller. The RGB ribbon works with a DC controller or DMX controllers. I'm also assuming you have 240V AC since your in the UK. Does your rope light also use 240V. It will help if you include more info when posting such questions.

Welcome aboard!

hi yes i have bought a self build kit from lor that will work on 240v ac also the rope light i am planning on using is also 240v ac.

what i mean is if i bought the led strip 12v could i wire so it works as say red? with a 12v transformer fron the lor controler to the strip the same as the rope light would work?

You can but will find that there would be substantial lags in using the LOR controller to provide power to the transformer.  Plus you will only get RGB&W as you won't be able to dim the channels to make up colors.  Your better bet would be to get a DC controller.  

No need for apologies.  Yes, that is the correct controller.  You just use it like a regular controller so your programming of the strips is much easier.  You will need to add a box and power supply.

fantastic altought i have been reading alot of info and it seems the sandevices e682 and elor may be the right way to go as it will give full control over smart pixle strips

is this right and will the e682 work with the lor controler through the elor?

what will i need to use it i am thinking og haveing the rgb pixel strips aroud the house roof windows ect running from the e682 and then my rope light fixtures (talking faces blowmolds ect running from the light o rama is this ok am i complicating things for my self?

thanks for the advice...

What version and license do you have?  Running 3.X with an advanced license, you can run the 682 w/o the elor.  

I'm just diving into RGB myself the more I think I am learning, the more confused I get.  LOL.  But I'm doing something similar to you.

I currently have 5 LOR controllers.  This year I am outlining house and windows with smart pixels (strips).  Still debating over 682 or PR12 but think I'm leaning more towards the 682.  

i have orded a self build lor controler if i upgrade my lisence to advance then i will be able to run my lor and the e682 dasy chain? or would i need anouther converter? or anything else to use it?

You have about reached the end if my dmx knowledge.

You won't daisy chain. The dmx will run through your computer via a network switch.

i have orded one any way it will take up to 3 weeksd to deliver so i will have planty of time to sort out how to work

well one step closer i have just orded 20m of rgb led strip so as soon as the controlers turn up then the fun times will start lol