Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Sequencing Tip

TheUltimate

I'm posting this here instead of sequencing but admins feel free to move it...

I discovered a way to get timings down in a sequence more easily. In your channel configuration insert a channel for timing or a few different ones. Use the beat wizard and run a timing on the entire song (say 8x the beat). When you run the beat wizard you will have the option of putting in a mark every "x" timings. If you want it with the beat of the music (say on the "one" count in 4/4 time) then tell it to turn on the timing channel every 8 timing marks. Do this for the different beat counts you want to have. Now if you have an element that you already know when you want it to turn on use the tapper wizard to tap each time you want the element on. This will create a timing mark. Go through and turn those on and then revert back to your beat timing to move the channel "on" to the exact beat.

This has saved me a lot of time. I like the tapper wizard but I'm in no way a musician so it was always off a bit. This allowed me to mark where I wanted my firesticks to go off with the tapper wizard and then get it to the exact beat with the beat wizard timing marks.

Just thought I would share.

I was following along until:

... and then revert back to your beat timing to move the channel "on" to the exact beat.

How do you do this part?

Thanks

If there's a particular event you want to occur (a fire stick rising and falling for instance) during a specific time, why not create the pattern, cut it, and then use the stretch-to-fit paste function to have it occur exactly where you want it?

I'm not sure I understand why the extra step with the Tapper is necessary if you already have timing marks in place via the Beat Wizard.  

@TonyD, Basically I know my tapping is going to be off a bit so to make sure the lights were going on exactly with the music I would use the beat wizard marks to correct my errors. It's probably not the easiest or best way to do it but it works for me and has saved time. I'm working on my 2nd year so I'm still pretty new and haven't picked up all the tricks yet.

@George Simmons, The tapper step is to get a timing mark where I want something to happen. So I can basically tap through the song when I want the firesticks to turn on and then correct for my timing errors. It keeps me from having to play and stop the song a billion times to get things exact. As I mentioned above. I'm still new at this so there is probably a better way to do it but I don't know what that is yet.

@TonyD, Basically I know my tapping is going to be off a bit so to make sure the lights were going on exactly with the music I would use the beat wizard marks to correct my errors. It's probably not the easiest or best way to do it but it works for me and has saved time. I'm working on my 2nd year so I'm still pretty new and haven't picked up all the tricks yet.

I wasn't asking why you were doing it but HOW you were doing it. I am so new i don't even know how you'd get the marks to "move" to the new timing marks.

George, how do you use stretch to fit, and where's the command. If there's something to read or view, if you can point me to it, I'll just learn it that way. Thanks, Ron

Never mind, I just found it. The key word was "paste" function

Edited by Ron Boyd

@tonyD, sorry for the misunderstanding. When you set your timings (using the beat wizard or just using a fixed grid) you will have a drop down in the upper right allowing you to change from one timing grid to another (i.e. .1, .05, beat, etc.). After I use the tapper wizard (which will show up as another timing option in that drop down), I put an "on" command in the cells I created with the tapper wizard. Then I change the timing to the beat wizard timing I did and move ("copy/paste") the "on" command to the exact beat. I'll try to get a screen few screen shots tonight as it's hard to explain.

@tonyD, sorry for the misunderstanding. When you set your timings (using the beat wizard or just using a fixed grid) you will have a drop down in the upper right allowing you to change from one timing grid to another (i.e. .1, .05, beat, etc.). After I use the tapper wizard (which will show up as another timing option in that drop down), I put an "on" command in the cells I created with the tapper wizard. Then I change the timing to the beat wizard timing I did and move ("copy/paste") the "on" command to the exact beat. I'll try to get a screen few screen shots tonight as it's hard to explain.

Thanks I think i get it now (but screen shots are always nice too! :) )

I don't use the Beat Wizzard, my hand gets tired and I am always WAY off.

I do Use the Wave Form and Drag the timing to line things up.

Another tip BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP.

I don't use the Beat Wizzard, my hand gets tired and I am always WAY off.

I do Use the Wave Form and Drag the timing to line things up.

Another tip BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP.

I guess the obvious questions is:  What is your hand doing while the Beat Wizard is running that makes it get so tired?   :P

I guess the obvious questions is:  What is your hand doing while the Beat Wizard is running that makes it get so tired?   :P

Clicking the mouse button!