Light-O-Rama Forums

An Easy Way To Hook Up Stuff Inside Home?

derekb

Is there any easy way to hook up things, like my Christmas tree to my LOR box so I can have it run with my show? I don't want to waste a whole box just sitting inside, I really don't want to have a window cracked open with an extension cord running from box outside to tree inside, LOR doesn't support the USB X10 controller I use. What are my options? Thanks for any help.

If I understand your question you want to control the lights on the tree from a controller outside that has a few extra channels?

If so then the answer is no.  Although it would be cool to have wireless electricity!

If you don't want to run cable you have to have a dedicated controller.

You can use a 8 channel, they are cheaper.

Scott

Derek,

although I have never tried this product with LOR ( This is my first year ) you could use a wireless extension cord ( SEE: 

or just google wireless extension cord for articles ) from an outside controller to run one channel i.e. your Christmas tree inside your house. Have no idea of the response times, if it could handle fades or anything else, but these would be cheaper than a whole controller to run one channel.

If I understand your question you want to control the lights on the tree from a controller outside that has a few extra channels?

If so then the answer is no.  Although it would be cool to have wireless electricity!

If you don't want to run cable you have to have a dedicated controller.

You can use a 8 channel, they are cheaper.

Yes Scott there is such a thing as wireless electricity, now if I could only plug the sending unit into my neighbors house...oh think of all the money I could save for more controllers!!

Is there any easy way to hook up things, like my Christmas tree to my LOR box so I can have it run with my show? I don't want to waste a whole box just sitting inside, I really don't want to have a window cracked open with an extension cord running from box outside to tree inside, LOR doesn't support the USB X10 controller I use. What are my options? Thanks for any help.

Since I don't own any Easy Light Linkers {ELL's}, I'm not sure how, or if the LOR ELL's would work.  If so, then you'd have to buy a pair of the LOR "Easy Light Linkers" to  do this, since these work wirelessly.

Hopefully someone with more experience with the LOR ELL's will chime in here and say whether they could be used in this capacity or not.

But if the ELL's would work, this may be your only option short of cracking open a window or drilling a hole through the wall and running some SPT wire through it, add your ends and plug into your inside tree and outside controller.

You do realize that the Wireless Extension Cord is an April Fools joke...

The cord from outside to inside is really your only real option.  There are a number of ways to fairly effectively seal up an extension cord going through a window.  Ham radio operators have been doing so with antenna cables for years.

drill a small hole thru your house (like the phone company does to get their line in) make your cord so the hole will be small as possible the put the end on it you can conceal it however you want and  use it every year put a little caulk around it and you shouldn't have any problems

I would suspect that we aint just talking one channel. If so, then that would be strange to have the whole tree blink. I would be like looking at a strobe. So, just one cord aint going to do the trick.

I would suspect that we aint just talking one channel. If so, then that would be strange to have the whole tree blink. I would be like looking at a strobe. So, just one cord aint going to do the trick.

Correct. My dining room is in the front of the house with a bay window. During the holidays I put a Christmas tree in that window and it would be cool to add the same 4 colors of lights that I use outside on the bushes. I rarely go in that room, so the color changing inside the home would not be an issue. It's just an idea to add something to the show. I would not want to put a hole in the wall in the front of the house, especially since it is a brick home. I am thinking maybe my only option is an 8 channel LOR box and use the ELL's.

Why is it that X-10 won't work? Is it because you have a USB controller versus the old serial? I have often thought about breaking out my old x-10 stuff to control indoor candlesticks, so I could turn them off during sequences and back on between shows. Obviously, x-10 is too slow to do blinky-flashy, but should work for simple on-off every few minutes.

Why is it that X-10 won't work? Is it because you have a USB controller versus the old serial? I have often thought about breaking out my old x-10 stuff to control indoor candlesticks, so I could turn them off during sequences and back on between shows. Obviously, x-10 is too slow to do blinky-flashy, but should work for simple on-off every few minutes.

Yeah. I have the USB not the serial. It's a shame LOR doesn't support that since I use X-10 for several things in my house for automation. In between playing songs with my show I just have the lights fading through a different color every 5 minutes and I thought it would be neat to have the tree people see in the window to match colors with the outside bushes.

I need to find my old X-10 computer interface and try to use it to control my front porch light.  Still have the X-10 switch installed, just not using it remotely. It would be a lot easier than re-wiring that light to get it to one of my LOR controllers.  Real hard to get to the wiring for the porch light because the attic is only a few inches tall above the door...  If I can get the X-10 to work, it would be far easier to deal with....

Well, derekb, it seems like you have a few options.

• Get a serial X-10 controller (or figure out how to route the comm port through the USB, which I think is supposed to be possible) so that you can continue using the X-10 hardware you already have. 
  • If your show computer is in the house, simply route a second LOR network wire to your dining room to drive a LOR controller near the tree. Since it would be used indoors you could get just the board and install it in a non-weatherproof enclosure to save some money.
  • If your show computer is outside (garage or whatever) and you refuse to drill use an ELL to communicate to a LOR controller inside.
  • Or, convert your tree to smart LED strings and use e1.31 and wifi to wirelessly communicate to a LED controller.