Light-O-Rama Forums

Are we just jaded?

AdamStavs

So I just got my first controller today, and I ordered my lights last night...starting on a ~7000 light LED ~24' Mega Tree....and now I'm watching video's of everyone's displays, forgetting how cool they are and what brought me to this, and now I'm trying to count channels on everyone's displays!  For all the veterans out there, are you every able to sit back and enjoy your display?...because even after sequencing just 2 songs, I'm already picking apart every little part of it.  I love the hobby already, but man!...I can already see where you get this bug, and just can't stop!

Welcome to the LOR bug. I found  my first year it was best to wait till I had the lights up so I could actually see what I had sequenced, in real life. Then make tweaks to the them as needed. I had 10,000 lights on my Mega Tree last year (2012) and only covered the front half . Wasn't sure how it would look untill I flipped the switch. Everyone loved it.

Yep, wait til you see them in lights.  Soooo much better to actually see them and experience them live.  I was just beaming...  And I never get sick of watching them!

Though if you use the "new" Visualizer, you get a pretty accurate representation of what the display will look like, if you set it up right.  That is the only way to go, and well worth the time to learn using it, since it does make it easier to do sequence tweaking ahead of time.

So I just got my first controller today, and I ordered my lights last night...starting on a ~7000 light LED ~24' Mega Tree....and now I'm watching video's of everyone's displays, forgetting how cool they are and what brought me to this, and now I'm trying to count channels on everyone's displays!  For all the veterans out there, are you every able to sit back and enjoy your display?...because even after sequencing just 2 songs, I'm already picking apart every little part of it.  I love the hobby already, but man!...I can already see where you get this bug, and just can't stop!

Once you get a few seasons under your belt, you are able to sit back and enjoy (at least speaking for myself). The first couple years I was being extra critical on myself and what I built but after seeing smiles on faces and nice compliments, I got the confidence to start enjoying it and not being so picky. Now it just seems natural. Sequence it, set it up and enjoy it.

I agree completely with SFD - the Visualizer, or even the Animation, is your second best friend (next to the Beat Wizard).  Take the time to set it/them up as accurately as possible and while others are busy tweaking their sequences come show time, you can sit back and marvel at the fact that your yard looks exactly like how you've been seeing it for the whole year.  I can't say that I never tweak sequences, because I'm one of those who feel that I can always make it better, but I can say that I rarely NEED to tweak them.  Good luck and enjoy the ride!

I had to rush my sequencing this year due to a late start and adding almost more than I can handle this year.

I need to do a lot of tweaking for next year.

I still watched my show almost every night and loved every minute of it. 

This was my first year and the first week after I was "live" I would just stand out there amazed at it. I never really picked it apart too much. This year I suspect I'll be tougher because I know more.

Yeah, I get time to admire my handiwork... I go out each nice night in December and watch at least one set of the display... and I don't have to change or tweak anything because it's P-E-R-F-E-C-T!! :D :D  :D

D.T.

I agree with DT!  I watch the display every night.  I have fallen asleep in my car after my 12 hour work shifts, watching it. I don't have a lot of traffic so I'm not holding people up.  I look forward to this part of the season the most, when I can just enjoy the fruits of my labor :D

I have fallen asleep in my car after my 12 hour work shifts, watching it.

Falling asleep while watching your own show??? Hummm, might need to pick out some upbeat songs to sequence. LOL

J/K ;)

Edited by Santas Helper

Falling asleep while watching your own show??? Hummm, might need to pick out some upbeat songs to sequence. LOL

J/K ;)

What can I say, it's a great mix of slow then fast.  Moderate songs have been mixed in too :P

Really the shows fine, but the leak in your exhaust system might need a touch up. ooh... sleepy...ah ni-night gas.......

Like others said, yes, it's nice to watch your own show.

The only thing I did for Christmas 2012 was some various color fades with my landscape lighting, and about a dozen short animation only sequences on a pixel tree.  I can't tell you how many times I stood out front watching it.  And when I was in my family room, I generally had the monitor on the security system displaying the camera that could watch it.  Just liked watching it.

rainyoregonchristmas signature:

We need a "Swear Jar" on the forums. First one to go negative has to put a string of lights in "The Jar." If they're really bad, then they must put in a string of Pixels.

We can add it to the Newbie Controller Fund :D

• The topic was locked