Light-O-Rama Forums

In Flight...

viennaxmas

Fly Over with all lights on:

Party Rock Anthem (after Christmas) with fly over..

Mad Russion Christmas with fly over...

what are you using for a camera and for the flyover?  display looks great and video looks great!!

I am using a DJI Phantom quadcopter & a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition - the quadcopter has a GoPro mount, so it is fairly easy to attach. Gives about 10 minutes flight time on a battery charge ;-) Everything else get's fixed in Post Production (using Adobe Premiere and now muvee Video Stabilizer (only on the "all lights on" video). Trying to find another hobby for the 2 weeks every year I donot think about the next display :D

I am using a DJI Phantom quadcopter & a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition - the quadcopter has a GoPro mount, so it is fairly easy to attach. Gives about 10 minutes flight time on a battery charge ;-) Everything else get's fixed in Post Production (using Adobe Premiere and now muvee Video Stabilizer (only on the "all lights on" video). Trying to find another hobby for the 2 weeks every year I donot think about the next display :D

so you strap a camera to a squirrel and the strap the squirrel to a helicopter and hope for the best?  LOL

Is that your front yard or back yard? Whats the parking lot to?

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like the back yard.

Yes it is the backyard - it is adjunct to a small shopping mall parking lot and we mostly manage to keep the traffic there. Front of the house just has two inflatables and a few RGB strips. Mall parking usually dies down after 7:00 leaving a lot of good space for viewers.

Only downside is the lights of the parking lot... Maybe next year I try to talk to the mall owners about that...

Nice job on the aerial shots!  I was wondering what a flyover would look like.   An old college friend of mine has his own company shooting professional stills and video from an aerial drone.  It's neat stuff.  I had thought I was gonna have to twist his arm to get him to come shoot my house just so I could see how it would turn out.  Now, I see, its not bad in fact I really like the aerial view.  I get the idea that we're gonna see more video like this in the coming years as it gets more popular.  I imagine there are a ton of displays out there, especially those on flat ground, that you really misjudge the size and scope of them just looking head on.  But taken from the air, you see so much more.  Anyone else see a new trend on the horizon ;?)  (Ha!) 

• Like 1

So is it easier to fly a regular RC helicopter or a quadcopter?

I may be thinking of something like this myself.

So is it easier to fly a regular RC helicopter or a quadcopter?

I may be thinking of something like this myself.

Not sure - I have never tried a helicopter. The DJI I use is super easy to fly (provided there is no wind) due to all the electronics on bord. It has a full flight controller built in which keeps the drone stable - you can even let the transmitter go and it remains in position (GPS). In general - the more rotors the better the overall stability. Also the more weight the easier to fly. There are smilar flight controllers for helicopters which would help flying. I once tried one without a controller and gave up pretty quick :D

Not sure - I have never tried a helicopter. The DJI I use is super easy to fly (provided there is no wind) due to all the electronics on bord. It has a full flight controller built in which keeps the drone stable - you can even let the transmitter go and it remains in position (GPS). In general - the more rotors the better the overall stability. Also the more weight the easier to fly. There are smilar flight controllers for helicopters which would help flying. I once tried one without a controller and gave up pretty quick :D

Thank you for the info.

That's very cool!  I am thinking of all the things I "could" use it for to try to get it in my budget.

Depending on your neighbours you might be able to use it to increase your budget :rolleyes:

I am impressed at how stable that copter is as a camera platform!

• The topic was locked