Light-O-Rama Forums

setting colors on RGB channels

rovabr

Hey I just got my first RGB dumb strips. I bought the LOR DC controller and I was just wondering. Is there a easy way to select a color for the strip. the only way I have found so far is by selecting the fill tool which fades from one color to the next. Say I want purple then it fades from blue to purple, I can copy the cell that has the purple color then paste when ever I want purple, but that sure seems to be a hard way. You would think If I wanted them to be purple in the next 5 cells I should be able somewhere to pick purple. Is there an easier way. Thanks Rob

In addition to what Don suggests, you can set one side of the Color Fade tool to purple, then click its "Copy" button on the other side, which will make the Color Fade tool just plain purple (i.e. not "purple to something else").

Also, if you go the "fill" route (like in Don's suggestion), note that you don't necessarily have to switch to the Fill tool: If you have the Color Fade tool on, and you have an empty space (i.e. all black) between two colors, clicking somewhere on that empty space will act just like the Fill tool does.  In this case - "purple-black-purple" - clicking on the black will make it become purple.

Bob,

I dont suppose we will ever see something like MS Paint. Where the cursor would be like a paint brush. Click it on a color palette, then start clicking on the channel / time matrix. Sure would speed up programming. I just added a few smart strips and went from 192 standard channels to now have added 150 RGB channels or 450 individual channels And most of the time / work is pasting individual boxes in the matrix. I can see how this fade will work for staying on the same RGB channel. But not familiar with doing this in say a chase.

Thanks

You can use the chase tool to span across multiple RGB channels. If you were to build a Red->Green->Blue->White fade on the first RGB channel, you could use the chase tool then go as far across the strip as you wanted. (Or all the way to the end.)

Bob,

I dont suppose we will ever see something like MS Paint. Where the cursor would be like a paint brush. Click it on a color palette, then start clicking on the channel / time matrix. Sure would speed up programming. I just added a few smart strips and went from 192 standard channels to now have added 150 RGB channels or 450 individual channels And most of the time / work is pasting individual boxes in the matrix. I can see how this fade will work for staying on the same RGB channel. But not familiar with doing this in say a chase.

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand.  By "start clicking on the channel / time matrix", do you mean click-click-click to get individual cells? If so, you can do that already.

If you mean "click and drag", you can do that too, and it will get you rectangles defined by where you clicked and where you dragged.

If you mean "click and drag but only through the particular cells that I actually dragged through, rather than a big rectangle", then although there's currently no way to do that generally speaking, it is the way that it works for the specific case of the Fill tool.

Or do you mean something else?

Maybe I am making this more complicated then I need to. I know I am new to this so maybe the answer is so simple that people are looking for a more difficult answer. Let’s say I build a dump strip tree with 4 sections. I know I can open up the 1 RGB channel and turn on red. The second channel I can turn on green, third blue and fourth red again. This part is simple. Now if I want any other color I have to start mixing the 3 colors and changing the % they are on. I was just wondering if there is a way to click on a cell that I have told to turn on and pick yellow without manually setting the colors and %. Like I said this is only my 3rd year and first with dumb strips. It’s so much easier when you just tell a cell when to turn on or off and the color is what it is.

Hi rovabr,

It seems like maybe you're not familiar with the "Color Fade" tool? It can do what I think you want.  Here's a video tutorial on it:

I hope this helps.

Bob, are you familiar with MS Paint? How do you make a drawing with different colors? That is what I was saying would be nice, if we could both select the color of the paint brush like we are in MS Paint. And then to be able to draw, but instead of a canvas it would be the channel / time grid. Example I want to program a 25 element arch that is made up of a smart LED ribbon much like a CCR but using a E682 controller. I have to define the color for one of the RGB elements. Then I copy that one channel / time slot (box). Then paste it for each of the other channel / time box for the other 24 elements. This color fading is great for just one channel for nth boxes. But in the case of an arch that you are doing a chase along the arch. I just dont see how this helps. But I am not an advanced programmer and might not know the trick to doing this. This is why I ask if it would be possible to have a cursor that works like the MS Paint brush with the color selection palate.

This color fading is great for just one channel for nth boxes. But in the case of an arch that you are doing a chase along the arch. I just dont see how this helps. But I am not an advanced programmer and might not know the trick to doing this. This is why I ask if it would be possible to have a cursor that works like the MS Paint brush with the color selection palate.

Max,

Do you mean something like this? (See video here.)

• Like 1

Yes that is close enough to give it a try Don. I think I read here the other day where if I do not want to fade, all I have to do is assign both colors to be the same. The only thing I will need to do is be able to only need to click on one cell, not drag across several cells like you did. Thanks for the video Don. Loved the chase you did, but sometimes I need to cheat some so that the ends of the chase are adjusted by having two cells stacked so I can squeeze more cells in a given time.

Thanks for the tip or how to.

The only thing I will need to do is be able to only need to click on one cell, not drag across several cells like you did

You can do it in one cell.  Due to the "fill" functionality of the Color Fade tool, you'll have to do a little drag within that single cell instead of simply clicking in that cell; if you just click, without dragging, it interprets that as you wanting to do a fill.

Ok, great and I understand. Just going to have to open up them cells some. Thanks for show me how to do this. I have only programmed a few minutes worth over 100 channels and Pasting to each channel in a 100 channels of arches is very time consuming. This will help greatly.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the LOR DC board limited to five RGB devices?

you can run more than 5 devices,but some will have to be on the same channels