Light-O-Rama Forums

Any DJs on this forum ? need input

TravisP

just seeing if there is any one that do DJ gigs and has any experiance with different PA speaker brands.

want to know the pros. and cons. of self powered speakers.

On opening night that we lightup our display the community and (neighbors too) gathers in front of our house for the lightup opening night.

So I have been looking for a set of good sounding PA speakers.

I have been reading reviews on the Mackie Thump series speakers (not very expensive).

Also been looking at other brands like QSC and Peavey.

Any thoughts or input will be greatly appreciated.

As a professional DJ, i have do have the following opinion

Are you looking for something that is professional quality for a DJ that needs to survive and run night after night.

Then you will need to have 

JBL EON515XT

or 

Makcie SRM450

these will set you back $600 each

If you are just looking for powered speakers to have outside....you can probably run something cheaper.

find something withing your budget.

As far a "good sounding"  this is highly subjective and dynamic.

without any processing (or eq adjustments)  different speakers will sound different given a certain environment.

on the professional side of things.. I would use a Real Time Analyzer along with a 30-band Equalizer to "tune" my sound system to a particular room. this would optimize sound output as well as quality.

But again...do you *really* need that.

People were paying me $1,000's of $$$$ ...

if this is a free show for your friends and neighbors... honestly.. your home stereo speakers using your home stereo outside will probably be sufficient.

Edited by Crazydave

It's also important to note... that personally, I used some old (10 year old)  DJ speakers run off an onkyo home stereo receiver

it was plenty loud and sounded great.

I just laid them down behind the garage door.. when I wanted to blast music out.. i just opened the garage door by about 18"

I'm sure that some small outdoor speakers would work well too.

I just used the equipment that I had available to me for free... and didn't mind using.

Edited by Crazydave

Piggy Back.....  I am looking for a DJ that could remix Christmas in Hollis to give it some drama.  

if you succeed with that I would love to listen to the audio and see your sequence.  Like the tune.

I had it in my display a few years ago but it just didn't have the drama pop.  I want to add it again but I need it to have that something. So I can throw some strobe lights to it.  If anyone know of a person that can do this please let me know.

I had it in my display a few years ago but it just didn't have the drama pop.  I want to add it again but I need it to have that something. So I can throw some strobe lights to it.  If anyone know of a person that can do this please let me know.

wish I did, I am all about mixing things up a bit over the holiday's.  Got a kick out of folks outside doing the Cupid Shuffle to my Christmas lights!!

If you're looking for a one-time event, just go down to your local music store and rent a pair for the gig.

Or if the budget permits, just hire a DJ for the night to provide their speakers and your sound. It's best to invite your neighbors so they don't complain about the volume. Most DJs don't have audio adapter cables, so you may have to plan ahead and get what you need in advance.

If you want your own, try the Behringer B212D: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B212D-Active-PA-Speaker-System-105640627-i1449707.gc

I have six of them and they work great for crowds up to 500, but don't leave them outside; they're not weatherproof.

They are self powered, so you just need a line level signal. They should be up on speaker stands. Usual price is $280, but they go on sale for $225 each.

For my Christmas display, I use four of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Black-Partio-Marine-Boat-Speaker-Pair-TS525ODB-/330864358836?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4d090d75b4

They are each mounted on a concrete pier block (to prevent theft) and are connected to a small 100 watt amplifier about 50 feet away.

For the past three seasons they have survived outdoors for 5 weeks and do a great job.

As a DJ, I use 2 ELX112Ps at about 600 each. They are great sounding speakers but if they are out of your buget I would say get the 12inch Mackie Thump powered tops. I own and use both of them and they are both very good. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

Best Regards

John

Edited by John2571

I was having Judy Pancoast last year for our lighting ceremony so I bought a Fender Passpost 250...and some Shure mics...very nice set-up

As a professional DJ, i have do have the following opinion

Are you looking for something that is professional quality for a DJ that needs to survive and run night after night.

Then you will need to have 

JBL EON515XT

or 

Makcie SRM450

these will set you back $600 each

If you are just looking for powered speakers to have outside....you can probably run something cheaper.

find something withing your budget.

As far a "good sounding"  this is highly subjective and dynamic.

without any processing (or eq adjustments)  different speakers will sound different given a certain environment.

on the professional side of things.. I would use a Real Time Analyzer along with a 30-band Equalizer to "tune" my sound system to a particular room. this would optimize sound output as well as quality.

But again...do you *really* need that.

People were paying me $1,000's of $$$$ ...

if this is a free show for your friends and neighbors... honestly.. your home stereo speakers using your home stereo outside will probably be sufficient.

Well I'm looking for good sound but with in a budget too.

I have been looking at a set Mackie Thump TH-15A Active Speakers http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie-Thump-TH-15A-Active-Speaker-105643845-i1512407.gc

As far as good sound goes, I know all very good sound when I hear it.

And as far as using my home stereo for the one night event, I don't feel to comfortable using it outside because of the amount of cash I have invested in it. Which is a Yamaha RX-V2600 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pdV53yU2tiC/p_022RXV2600/Yamaha-RX-V2600.html

and two Klipsch RF-7 IIs for 2-channel stereo music listening http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-ii-floorstanding-speaker

And for home theater surround sound a Klipsch THX Ultra2 System http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system

My wife and I are wanting to buy a set of self powered PA speakers even though they will only be used for just the first lightup night of our display (our neighbors are fully aware and support what we want to do).

I will also check out the Behringer B212D and the EV ELX112Ps

Thank you for your input guys.

I really do appreciate it.

P.S. I'm a 41 year old musician, played the drums all my life and dabbled with piano, lead/rythum and bass guitar.

My youngest son plays guitar.

Sure is fun having the family into music

As far as a line level source, I was thinking about using my laptop speaker output to the self powered PA speakers.

We plan on going to our local Guitar Center soon to test drive a couple sets and see what we like.

For the price the Mackie Thump TH-15A seem to be well in our price range, just don't know how they sound.

Sure are a lot of professional dj's. I dj part time and use all self powered equipment. Any of the equipment will do you just fine. Do you have a guitar center nearby? Also some Best Buys carries pro audio gear.

Personally i like the idea of hitting a dj. Should not expensive and ANY dj worth a spit would have all the connectors needed to Tue into any audio source. Plus you will have a microphone (probably wireless) to talk to the folks, say thanks, etc.

I would not buy Behringer for my gig work. They sound fine and would be more then capable to handle your event.

I dj'ed for a couple of years when i was younger and would not touch self powered speakers with a 10ft pole (Personal opinion). I was very particular on my speakers and amps. For speakers I always used EV (Electrovoice).

And for home theater surround sound a Klipsch THX Ultra2 System http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system

P.S. I'm a 41 year old musician, played the drums all my life and dabbled with piano, lead/rythum and bass guitar.

My youngest son plays guitar.

Sure is fun having the family into music

I have the THX Ultra 2 system as well in my Home theater.. I love it!    And I love playing my drums... LOL  What great taste you have!  :D

• The topic was locked