Light-O-Rama Forums

Yet another newbie setting up a display...

remoteutah

Please move to appropriate forum if needed!

Please excuse the fact that I am posting this in both the LightShow Pro Forum and the LOR SS Forum!  Please don't flame me, just trying to figure out which software is going to work better for me.  I am a newbie to LSP and LOR but not a newbie to low voltage wiring.  Have done LOTS of alarm systems, computer networks, Security Video, etc.

Equipment I will be using (some purchased already - some not):

Lights-

5 meter waterproof smd strips with 5050 RGB LED - 30 LED/M with 30 WS2811 Chips/M - 5 volt - Qty = 12 (The infamous 12 string tree) - Channels/strip= 450   Pixels/strip=150  total channels=5400  total pixels=1800

5 meter waterproof smd strips with 5050 RGB LED - 60 LED/M Dumb lights - 12 volt - Qty = 9 (gutter lights) - Channels = 27 DMX

100 waterproof 5050 RGB LEDs on wire with WS2811 Chips on each LED - 5 or 12 volt - Qty = 5 (Star & snowman) -  Channels/string= 300   Pixels/string=100  total channels=1500 total pixels=500

Lights - Grand Total Pixels = 2300  Grand Total channels = 6900 + 27 DMX  ( this is not accounting for the face of the snowman which I am still working out - I am thinking led matrix... LOL)

Hardware-

Dedicated NIC card in PC (not used for anything else but lights) for E1.31 network

8 port 10/100 Network Switch for E1.31 network

J1SYS ECG-P12R Pixel Controller - 2040 Pixels / 6120 channels

J1SYS ECG-P2 or get another J1SYS ECG-P12R

J1SYS ECG-D2 - E1.31 to DMX Bridge

Probably get one of those cheap 27 channel DMX contollers for the dumb lights as they are not very critical

SO!!!!! ------

Here is my Question!  Which software is better to use?!  I like the SS part of LOR but I understand there may be some limitations with the addressable lights I am using.  Those limitations being (1) - SS only supports 50 pixels per string and my strings are 150 pixels; and (2) SS only supports 3600 channels (although there is talk of going to 7200 this year).  Even at 7200 channels , that leaves me 300 channels (or 100 rgb leds) left!

I don't know the support LSP has for mapping/sequencing RGB leds.  Maybe someone can enlighten me!

• 2 weeks later...

just a suggestion you might want to ask this same question over in the rgb/dmx or the E1.31 section of the forum.  i think you will be fine with lor but the folks that frequent that section will have better answers for you than in the newbies section.

better to ask the experts and the new guys.

good luck and welcome to the madness.

Please move to appropriate forum if needed!

Please excuse the fact that I am posting this in both the LightShow Pro Forum and the LOR SS Forum!  Please don't flame me, just trying to figure out which software is going to work better for me.  I am a newbie to LSP and LOR but not a newbie to low voltage wiring.  Have done LOTS of alarm systems, computer networks, Security Video, etc.

Equipment I will be using (some purchased already - some not):

Lights-

5 meter waterproof smd strips with 5050 RGB LED - 30 LED/M with 30 WS2811 Chips/M - 5 volt - Qty = 12 (The infamous 12 string tree) - Channels/strip= 450   Pixels/strip=150  total channels=5400  total pixels=1800
5 meter waterproof smd strips with 5050 RGB LED - 60 LED/M Dumb lights - 12 volt - Qty = 9 (gutter lights) - Channels = 27 DMX
100 waterproof 5050 RGB LEDs on wire with WS2811 Chips on each LED - 5 or 12 volt - Qty = 5 (Star & snowman) -  Channels/string= 300   Pixels/string=100  total channels=1500 total pixels=500
Lights - Grand Total Pixels = 2300  Grand Total channels = 6900 + 27 DMX  ( this is not accounting for the face of the snowman which I am still working out - I am thinking led matrix... LOL)

Hardware-

Dedicated NIC card in PC (not used for anything else but lights) for E1.31 network
8 port 10/100 Network Switch for E1.31 network
J1SYS ECG-P12R Pixel Controller - 2040 Pixels / 6120 channels
J1SYS ECG-P2 or get another J1SYS ECG-P12R
J1SYS ECG-D2 - E1.31 to DMX Bridge
Probably get one of those cheap 27 channel DMX contollers for the dumb lights as they are not very critical

SO!!!!! ------
Here is my Question!  Which software is better to use?!  I like the SS part of LOR but I understand there may be some limitations with the addressable lights I am using.  Those limitations being (1) - SS only supports 50 pixels per string and my strings are 150 pixels; and (2) SS only supports 3600 channels (although there is talk of going to 7200 this year).  Even at 7200 channels , that leaves me 300 channels (or 100 rgb leds) left!

I don't know the support LSP has for mapping/sequencing RGB leds.  Maybe someone can enlighten me!

This is a huge post for a newbie. But I am new to the forum and find it difficult to answer your questions

Monster effort.  Caught you a few times over in the Aus boards.  The project is massive.  I like SE in lor, not a huge fan of SS, but thats mostly becuase I never spent the time to learn it.