Light-O-Rama Forums

Cheap Velcro Alternative

eurbani

A few years ago, I purchased something called garland tie.  I purchased it in after Christmas sales.  While not as tough or "prickly" as regular Velcro, it sticks and I used it for storing cords and light sets.  It looked something like this:

Garland-Tie_247.jpg

I recently came across this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/R-202261952/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

It costs $3.47 for 45 feet at Home Depot and seems to be the same stuff.

I cut this to the correct length plus about an inch for overlap plus another inch to do this...

602738_279580042171604_544911474_n.jpg

After I cut the correct length, I fold over that last 3/4 inch.  I cut out a triangle that is about 3/8 in,  You can then make a loop put your cord through and the correct tie stays with the correct cord.

I like the double sided velcro I use it to tie my candy canes to my porches.  I found a page that sold different colors if I can find a link I will post it.

I like the double sided velcro I use it to tie my candy canes to my porches.  I found a page that sold different colors if I can find a link I will post it.

This is double-sided the loops are on one side and the hooks are on the other side.  However, the hooks aren't as "hookie" and the loops aren't as "loopy" as regular velcro.  (If that makes any sense at all)   I guess I'm trying to say that it is smoother and certainly not as heavy-duty as what I think of as velcro.

After I cut the correct length, I fold over that last 3/4 inch.  I cut out a triangle that is about 3/8 in,  You can then make a loop put your cord through and the correct tie stays with the correct cord.

So you keep the velcro tie outside with the cord all season????  How does this lighter duty velcro hold up in the elements?

So you keep the velcro tie outside with the cord all season????  How does this lighter duty velcro hold up in the elements?

I did have a couple stop gripping.  But those were ones that I had cut a bit too short and they only over-lapped maybe 1/3 inch.

Seems like more work than needed if you ask me (especially with all that cutting and stuff).  In all my years of wrapping cords or light sets, I don't think I have had a single cord or light set unravel itself. Use ball method of wrapping for lights and just tuck in the end plug into the ball.  With extension cords, just wrapping the last foot of the cord around its own bundle and plug it into itself.  Honestly don't get the need personally, but to each their own.

Seems like more work than needed if you ask me (especially with all that cutting and stuff).  In all my years of wrapping cords or light sets, I don't think I have had a single cord or light set unravel itself. Use ball method of wrapping for lights and just tuck in the end plug into the ball.  With extension cords, just wrapping the last foot of the cord around its own bundle and plug it into itself.  Honestly don't get the need personally, but to each their own.

Whenever, I put a bunch of cords in a bin, they all get tangled.  I've been a cord saver since I was like ten years old.  I used to dump them in a box and then I realized that they'd all be tangled.  I tried wrapping the cord with itself, but if you dig through the box to find something several come undone and then you have the first mess.  My next method was taping, but then the cord gets sticky.  I used to use twist ties, but I could never seem to find one when I needed it and overtime they get work-hardened and break.  About ten years ago I found the Velcro straps that have the little hole at the end so that you can attach them to your cords, but they are expensive if you have a lot of cords.  So, this has been my preferred method for years.

The cutting takes less than 5 seconds per cord (3 snips) and once you are done, you are done.

I've heard about the ball method for light sets, but I have used Ziploc bags for years and they do a great job.  The only sets that I Velcro is the C9 sets.

Agreed, there is no one way to do stuff in this hobby.  If it works and is safe, do it!   :)

• The topic was locked