Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar Demo and CCB's

Val Bennett

Brian, I have been watching your very informative tutorials on YouTube. But I noticed on some of the tutorials "CCB" is between "CCR" and "Firefly" on the Layout window, and not there on others - as well as not on my demo version (3.9.0).  I am seriously considering purchasing the 24 CCR version of SuperStar. Do I have an older demo version, or do I need to buy in order to see what CCB's look like on the software?

Also, is there a way to simulate a CCP megatree on your software like the one you made? I was so impressed I want to make a CCB tree in similar fashion. 

Good question. The CCB mode is not in the newer versions of the software. It never was any different than CCR mode, so I removed the option. When you configure CCBs or CCPs with the Hardware utility, configure them as "dual normal" and they will behave like CCRs. When in "dual normal" mode you assign one unit ID to the controller and the controller uses that unit ID for the first string that is attached to it, and it uses the unit ID after that for the second string that is attached to it. That way each string sequences same as a CCR would. So then you can sequence the CCBs or CCPs using the SuperStar CCR mode. Also, in the visualizer you pretend your CCBs or CCPs are CCRs and create them as CCRs in the Visualizer.

In the S3 download there is a sample visualization of the CCP megatree in my videos.

1) Launch SuperStar

2) Click on the File menu and select Open

3) Double click on the "Samples" folder and open "Vis_24x25Tree_4RowGlobe_Spirals.sup"

The above sequence uses a sample visualization file named "24x25Tree_4RowGlobe.lee"

Play the sequence and you will seem some of the spiral effects that are in the videos.

• 4 weeks later...

Brian:

I noticed that you used a white goble. I looked at the website where you got it from, and was wondering if I used the clear, if it would give a more of a 3d look as it might reflect the lights facing the back of the tree. In the dark would it show up those light in the back better? 

Thanks

It is true that the problem with the white globe is that you don't see the lights on the other side. A clear globe would partially solve that, but realize that there are a lot of wires inside the globe, and the controller is inside the globe also. So you would see the wires and controller as well.

Brian:

After I zip tied my CCP's to my rope and then zip tied the wire loom on top of the rope and ccp's. I figured out I have a storage problem. So, I took a 12' piece of 8" PVC pipe and attached a srew cap on each end and pulled a number of strings (wire loom, rope and CCP's through the pipe and capped both ends. This way they are layout and safe and I can attach the PVC to my garage ceiling joists. Out of the way and protected. I hope I can just pull them out the end of the tubes this coming season without much trouble.

Just mt idea. There maybe a better way.

That is a good way to store them. For me, one advantage of having the wire loom around the CCPs is that it keeps them from getting tangled. I took mine and coiled them all in a big box, and when I get them back out of the box they don't get tangled because the wire loom makes them "tubular."

Brian:

After I zip tied my CCP's to my rope and then zip tied the wire loom on top of the rope and ccp's. I figured out I have a storage problem. So, I took a 12' piece of 8" PVC pipe and attached a srew cap on each end and pulled a number of strings (wire loom, rope and CCP's through the pipe and capped both ends. This way they are layout and safe and I can attach the PVC to my garage ceiling joists. Out of the way and protected. I hope I can just pull them out the end of the tubes this coming season without much trouble.

Just mt idea. There maybe a better way.

I zipped my CCR's to a 10' x 3/4" piece of PVC...the other 6' was left loose and zip tied to another piece of PVC at set-up...but for storage the 10' x 3/4" piece, plus the 6' of extra CCR  wrapped around the end of the pipe and back up the elngth of the pipe, and are stored in a 10' x 2" PVC...capped on one end.

Good question. The CCB mode is not in the newer versions of the software. It never was any different than CCR mode, so I removed the option. When you configure CCBs or CCPs with the Hardware utility, configure them as "dual normal" and they will behave like CCRs. When in "dual normal" mode you assign one unit ID to the controller and the controller uses that unit ID for the first string that is attached to it, and it uses the unit ID after that for the second string that is attached to it. That way each string sequences same as a CCR would. So then you can sequence the CCBs or CCPs using the SuperStar CCR mode. Also, in the visualizer you pretend your CCBs or CCPs are CCRs and create them as CCRs in the Visualizer.

In the S3 download there is a sample visualization of the CCP megatree in my videos.

1) Launch SuperStar

2) Click on the File menu and select Open

3) Double click on the "Samples" folder and open "Vis_24x25Tree_4RowGlobe_Spirals.sup"

The above sequence uses a sample visualization file named "24x25Tree_4RowGlobe.lee"

Play the sequence and you will seem some of the spiral effects that are in the videos.

Brian, I was able to check out your sample, and thought I had it figured out. When I set up my "CCB tree.lee" in the Superstar Sequencer, the order of my CCB strings (24 total) doesn't mesh with the green grid. Before it loads up, I get the error message "Failed to save configuration or layout information to file . . . .". When I try to do a chase or spirals around the tree - starting from the left at string #1 - it goes around the front half of the tree o.k.(left to right), but instead of continuing around and traveling right to left in the back half of the megatree, it goes to the string just before string #1, and goes right to left in the back half of the megatree.

My 24 strings are numbered CCB 01 thru 24 consecutively looking down on the tree starting at 9 o'clock and going around counterclockwise, and the controller assignments are as follows:  1A thru 1F & 20-25 (network B) , then 26 thru 29 & 2A thru 2F (network C).

I  hope all this makes sense, so you can help me!

Thanks - Val

If your strings are not all part of a prop then add them all to a prop. If you use the tree wizard it will automatically put them all into a prop.

If your strings are in a prop, then the strings on placed on the sequencing grid using the order you have them placed in the prop.

• 2 weeks later...

In your spiral sample visualization the green grid is set up completely different than it is in my version of the software. In your version the top of the grid is the top of the tree and (if I am counting right) you have a start state grid and a separate end state grid side by side. In my version of the software the top of my tree is to the left and the bottom is to the right. The visualizes works fine and orientation is correct when I run the scene, but it is a constant orientation exercise to get this right. Is there any way to change this? Also, i only show one grid (no start and end state) so it is impossible to program the spiral properly since it crosses over the string 1 to 24 transition. I can send a screen shot if my wording is too confusing.

For a 360 degree tree, I created "wrap around" mode. In the sample you are looking at, the tree has 24 half strings. So you would normally have a grid that is 24 columns wide in order to sequence the 24 half strings. However, for a 360 degree tree you don't want to think of there being a start string and an end string, you want to be able to do effects across any region of the 360 degrees.

So in "wrap around" mode there are twice as many columns as in normal mode. In the case of my 24 half string tree, it uses 48 columns. You can start and stop a morph in any region of the 48 columns. You can have the start and end be in the left half, the right half, or you can have the start be in one half and the end in the other half. The idea is that it makes it easy for a morph to start and end at any point of the 360 degree tree.

Also, you can only do "wrap around" mode if you are using a visualization. At the time that you import the visualization, there is an option to select "wrap around" mode in the "Import Visualization" dialog box.

It is hard to describe all this verbally. I suppose I need to make a video tutorial.

Makes sense. How do you set up the 48 column wrap around mode in the SuperStar tool? I selected 24 strings and ended up with 24 in the grid as opposed to the 48 that you have.

You can only do "wrap around" mode if you are using a visualization. At the time that you import the visualization, there is an option to select "wrap around" mode in the "Import Visualization" dialog box.

You are an absolute Super Genius!  It is almost as if you wrote the software.  This worked perfectly and just made my life a whole lot easier.  Thanks for the help.

You are an absolute Super Genius!  It is almost as if you wrote the software.  This worked perfectly and just made my life a whole lot easier.  Thanks for the help.

He DID!    :D