Light-O-Rama Forums

File set up question

David Spangler

I've gotten my software, and controller and have been gone crazy making sequences and just out and out playing as much as possible. I'm starting to end up with sequence files, mp3 files, and files from the sequence builder on Superstar, etc, etc etc. I also got errors onn my mp3 files that I found out Audacity Sound Editor fixed but I'm ending up with files all over the place. Is there a good way to keep all the different files straight? Is there a normal standard I should be using on what folders to store all the different stuff in? Did anybody else run into this problem when they first started??????

Thank you

Dave

LOR software usually gives you folders for sequences, audio, visualizer, etc.

I just used their file layout and put my files in the appropriate folder LOR set up.

I had audio files all over after running them thru audacity when I first started, so don't feel alone. Just make sure you are saving them back to lightorama--> audio. If you are doing multiple songs at one time, and you get the first one saved there, it will be the first choice on subsequent file saves for your songs, which made it alot easier. Its easy to just save it and it goes to my music folder, which isn't where you want it.

Just figure out where your MAIN LOR folder is, and the drill down as Mikey said will have you going in the right direction. USUALLY when saving sequences, visualizer files ,etc...those by default have ended up in the appropriate LOR files, never had them go anywhere else...

Here's how I do it:

In the C:\LOR\AUDIO directory I have subfolders such as Halloween, Christmas, Patriotic, Misc, Movie and TV Themes, etc.  I then place the MP3 file into the directory for which it fits.  In my Sequences directory I also have subfolders for Halloween, Christmas, Off-Season Lighting, etc.   Under each of those for example Christmas I have subfolders such as 2010 Christmas, 2011 Christmas, 2012 Christmas and now 2013 Christmas.  This way I know what year I created those particular sequences, so I can go back and see just how bad my original sequences were compared to each year.   As we're all usually tweaking and improving our techniques every year, plus adding new elements to a display would require adding more to the next generation sequence.

It may sound like a lot of work and a lot of space, but sequences take up very little room and this way I know exactly where the sequences are I'm working on,

One thing I also add to my sequences directories are subfolders for Completed, Incomplete and Overnigt, this way if I've started a new sequence and haven't finished it, it goes in the Incomplete subdirectory, once complete to my satisfaction then moved to Completed.  Overnight are for my sequences I use for what lights or elements I want active after the show has shut down for the night.

Just the way I do it, but my way not be the best for some, or even for you, but I'm tossing it out there as it works well for me and helps keep eveything organized on my system.