Light-O-Rama Forums

Programming Pixel Based Candy Canes

bob_moody

Sure Don,

PM me an email address and I'll send over what i have...

I can give you the Visualizer file and what little bit of testing I have done with SS.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I posted my email a couple of days ago and it is not here. Well here you go and thanks a lot.

dfsea66 at gmail dot com

Sorry Don, I did get it but got side tracked with a big oops while building the corocanes.

I'll get what I have over to you. Sorry about that chief....

• 2 months later...

Bob

I am also thinking of building candy canes, will need to learn the art of sequencing later, but would welcome some construction tips especially wiring, can you help?

Jeff

Bob

I am also thinking of building candy canes, will need to learn the art of sequencing later, but would welcome some construction tips especially wiring, can you help?

Jeff

Jeff,

I would be more than happy to. First, let me tell you everything I know .. OK .. now on to the next subject !!! (just kidding ..)

First let me direct you to our How-To pages on our website:

http://moodychristmas.weebly.com/holidaycoro-candy-canes---2-part-series.html

In writing this I realize that I have not completed PART 2 of the series and I will start working on that tonight.

Also please check our blog at:

http://moodychristmas.weebly.com/blog.html

I made comments there to I believe.

Now, with that said, I will admit that I did several things wrong and had to correct them. So hopefully what I can tell you now will keep you out of the same mess.

1. DO NOT use Cat5 for ANYTHING !!! While it does serve well, In practicality, I found that it was just to lossy to carry power and your data signal effectively. Some will disagree and for those that do, they are more than welcome to use what ever they want in thier display. Since I already had the Cat5 installed for the returns (ie. Pixel 16 back out of the candy cane) I left them intact and as a result had to inject power at several places along the line to make it all work right.

I would use a 18ga 4 conductor cable for the entire project. I did in fact use this along with 4-pin waterproof connectors ($1 ea pair from AliExpress ...not Ray Wu though).

At the bottom of each cane I installed a male 4-pin and then a female 4-pin cnnector for the return. I then made extension cables using the 4 conductor wire and the corresponding 4-pin connector. I also had to make some custom "Y" power injectors to inject 12V along the way. I will have more on this shortly when I update the How-To on the website.

I know this doesnt cover much and I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Check the two web pages I gave you first and we can go from there. I know I could not have completed this project successfully without the continued support of David over at HolidayCoro and from FastEddy and the crew over at AusChristmas... So this is my way of giving back some of the knowledge they gave to me ...

Let me know what I can do to help.

Bob

Okay .. as promised, I updated Part 2 of the CoroCane pages on the website HOW-To.

This should take you down the road and around the corner.

Again, if I can answer any questions... let me know ..

Bob