Light-O-Rama Forums

beat wizard

petenice

sure this has been asked a few thousand times but I gotta asked anyway. I've tring to learn how to use the beat wizard problem I'm having now is with the songs I've been tring to use (don't think the song itself is the problem) but I keep keep getting a error message that saying (can't init conversion).

When I get that I reconvert the song to a different .wav. Sometimes the .wav that they are saved as prior to using them in LOR isn't something LOR can deal with.

I don't use contstant bit rate MP3 like many here..

See this PDF from LOR. You will need to run your audio file through Audacity. This will create a Constant Bit Rate MP3 file and should resolve the issue for you.

I've had to run it through more than once before (no, I don't know why that was.)

• 3 months later...

I used the beat wizard once.....once. I still prefer the old fashioned way of marking the beat out by hand. For some reason, the beat wizard will mark out several cells in the grid. I like to have just one mark. It is a little time consuming but always produces a better sequence,,,,,IMO.

I used the beat wizard once.....once. I still prefer the old fashioned way of marking the beat out by hand. For some reason, the beat wizard will mark out several cells in the grid. I like to have just one mark. It is a little time consuming but always produces a better sequence,,,,,IMO.

What do you mean by "mark out several cells" ? I guess I don't understand what the beat wizard is 'marking out' in your case.

If a song has been converted to a CBR, and keeps the same time signature throughout the entire song, then the beat wizard is very good at identifying the beat. IMO.

If a song has been converted to a CBR, and keeps the same time signature throughout the entire song, then the beat wizard is very good at identifying the beat. IMO.

I couldn't agree more. It takes about fifteen seconds to have the beat wizard create a new freeform timing grid for marking the beat. Perfect it isn't, but 99% is just fine by me. Next time you see the beat off in any of my sequences or videos, please let me know.

What do you mean by "mark out several cells" ?

I sequence using 0.04 timing grid. I refer to each 0.04 second block in the grid as a cell. I go through and mark out using dead channels and I place where each beat hits at one cell.

I sequence using 0.04 timing grid. I refer to each 0.04 second block in the grid as a cell. I go through and mark out using dead channels and I place where each beat hits at one cell.

Once you start using the multiple timing grids feature, you'll wonder how you lived without it.  I will typically have a fixed grid (sometimes 0.04, depending on the song) and a separate free form grid I name "Basic Beat" with timings created by the Beat Wizard.  I can quickly make one channel the "downbeat" channel by using "Paste to end of sequence" in the "Basic Beat" grid, then switch back to the 0.04 grid to do more sequencing, with the downbeat channel plainly showing the beats.