Light-O-Rama Forums

Snow, Fog Bubble Machines LOR...

Guest guest

Charles Belcher wrote:

Yes, I do want to use transformers if possible. I thought that might be a problem, but it sounds like you think it will work well?

A fellow in the UK did a lot of testing with transformers. He watched the tempurature of the transformers and said that lots of continious on/off caused an small increase in temperature and fading did not seem to affect the transformers. I believe that results will depend a lot on the transformers used but the results of the test seem to show that they can be used successfully.

We have also tested transformers and did not measure temperature increases but did see that they worked continiously for weeks with no problems.

• 10 months later...

My wife is insisting on snow machines for the display now. I'm not familiar with using relays, etc...So I have some questions....

If I run 2 snow machines on one channel of my LOR, I understand the load from the motors could possibly cook my controller and/or channel. I've gathered this is from the excess power that has to go some where when the motor is switched off correct?
Can I add a spot light/strand of lights, etc to this channel to absorb this? Or is this not how this will work at all....?

Is there a "plug and play" relay I could get or some other option here? I have some DMX gear here (not for the display), but the snow machines are not and I dont want to convert them.

Anyone willing to send me some part numbers and instructions for the relay maybe?

I've adapted several foggers to work with LOR, but the method is different depending on the operation of the remote. Most of the lower end foggers use a 120v remote, and are fairly simple to make a relay for. The higher (more powerful) units use a 12v remote, and they are a little more complicated. We are using 2 V950 super foggers this year, and they have 12v remotes, and they will be controlled by LOR. Figure out which unit you are going to buy, then find out if remote is 12v or 120v. Either way they can be controlled with a simple relay and LOR, you just have to wire them differently.