Light-O-Rama Forums

Only 1 track.?

Sheldon_15

On the basic software, I think, it says you can only have 1 (or 2) tracks. Does that mean that you can only have 1 (or 2) songs for you're show?

(Please no negative comments. Just trying to learn)

• Like 1

I could be wrong but I think in S3 tracks still exist but you really want to be using groups. Lets say you have a mega tree with 16 channels, if you right click on the first of those channels you can select "convert to group" this will bundle them all together with a + sign allowing you to collapse and expand your group. This is great as the number of channels you are using expands as you don't have to scroll up and down as much if you are working on sequencing one element.

I could be wrong but I think in S3 tracks still exist but you really want to be using groups. Lets say you have a mega tree with 16 channels, if you right click on the first of those channels you can select "convert to group" this will bundle them all together with a + sign allowing you to collapse and expand your group. This is great as the number of channels you are using expands as you don't have to scroll up and down as much if you are working on sequencing one element.

Okay, thanks!

Groups are good for smaller items in your display, tracks are good for larger displays with multiple sections.

You can also use different timings on each different track.

Groups are good for smaller items in your display, tracks are good for larger displays with multiple sections.

You can also use different timings on each different track.

Just a little side note: You can use different timings on a single track, too. Any of your timing grids can be displayed on any track (one at a time per track). You can quickly switch back and forth between them using the dropdown list next to the "Timings" button on the toolbar. Here's the help file page on this.

I love the tracks.  When I finally understood them, they help a lot.  For example, I have one for mini trees, one for bushes, one for window outlines...

When I am finishing up a sequence, I can go through each track and make sure that something is happening in each track most of the time.  For example, I don't like to leave my window outlines dark for more than 1/2 second.

Creating tracks is kind of a pain.  You have to copy each channel to a track one at a time.  (If I am wrong about this, someone please tell me how to copy multiple channels to a group.) I was creating groups and moving the group to the track and then degrouping.  It saved a lot of clicks.

Edited by eurbani

I use Tracks on RGB strips; four tracks each; one for ALL RGB, one for Red only, one for Green only and one for Blue only.

That way, if I want to do effects or chases in red only, it's quick and easy.

You can also overlap colors by doing chases in blue and maybe a reverse chase in green.

• Like 2

Groups are good for things like a mega tree, but tracks are great for set items like Bushes, House lights, Yard elements, etc...

I use both in my display My Master Track contains all channels (recommended to Have your 1st track contain Every Channel in your display) and the other tracks have a copy of selected channels for different areas of the display. I use 6 total Tracks.  

1. Master Channel list.

2. House

3. Yard/Mini Trees RBRB

4. Yard/Mini Trees RRRBBB

5. Trees/Other

6. Strobes

The difference between 3 and 4 they both contain the same channels but in a different order For my yard lights and my mini trees I use 2 colors  Track 3 I have them in order like   Yard 1 Red  Yard 1 Blue  Yard 2 Red Yard 2 Blue etc...

For track 4  It's Yard 1 Red Yard 2 Red Yard 3 Red .... Yard 12 Red Yard 1  Blue Yard 2 Blue etc...

Edited by TitusCarnathan

Just a little side note: You can use different timings on a single track, too. Any of your timing grids can be displayed on any track (one at a time per track). You can quickly switch back and forth between them using the dropdown list next to the "Timings" button on the toolbar. Here's the help file page on this.

Good point.

I use Tracks on RGB strips; four tracks each; one for ALL RGB, one for Red only, one for Green only and one for Blue only.

That way, if I want to do effects or chases in red only, it's quick and easy.

You can also overlap colors by doing chases in blue and maybe a reverse chase in green.

Colors! I don't have much RGB, but this year I set up a Red, Green and Blue track for my incans.