Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio Files

Rick Hughes

In past years I've used MP3 files, but I'm leaning towards WMA files this year because I *think* I saw somewhere back that WMA works better for the Sequence Editor being able to start and stop at various points during playback.

As we've all probably experienced, the volume level on CDs varies noticeably from one disc to another. Again, in the past, I've used MP3GAIN to equalize the levels across the songs I'm used.

So now to my questions ...

1. Is WMA better than MP3 either in sound quality or in effectiveness working in the Sequence Editor.

2. I'll be ripping my audio from CDs using Windows Media Player; is there anything I can do there - or a separate (hopefully free) program which will equalize the volume across the 20 songs I'm using?

Many thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Guest wbottomley

Rick Hughes wrote:

In past years I've used MP3 files, but I'm leaning towards WMA files this year because I *think* I saw somewhere back that WMA works better for the Sequence Editor being able to start and stop at various points during playback.

As we've all probably experienced, the volume level on CDs varies noticeably from one disc to another. Again, in the past, I've used MP3GAIN to equalize the levels across the songs I'm used.

So now to my questions ...

1. Is WMA better than MP3 either in sound quality or in effectiveness working in the Sequence Editor.

2. I'll be ripping my audio from CDs using Windows Media Player; is there anything I can do there - or a separate (hopefully free) program which will equalize the volume across the 20 songs I'm using?

Many thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Rick... I think it should be ok to use WMA's instead of MP3's if you don't use the MP3 director card. The mp3 director card requires only mp3's at 128kbs.

Not positive, but I think most people advise that wav files were better than

mp3. I convert all my mp3 files to wav and they work just fine and the

sound is great. Both will play on windows media player which is the

required player for LOR.

Harbs

If you do use the MP3 director, it is easier to convert to .WAV for sequencing purposes.

I use audacity to increase volumes for .wav format songs.

And to burn songs from CDs, I use MP3 ripper. Not to sure if it is free, but it gets the job done, even on the CDs that are locked to protect against copying.

Sorry for the slow acknowledgement of responses - have been having network connection difficulties this week.

I've converted everything to WAV and now want to equalize the volumes as they are quite different one from another.

With Audacity, is it simply a matter of adjusting the gain control until it is as loud as it can go WITHOUT clipping (e.g., the little red indicator)? Or is there something else I should be looking at. (I'm assuming I do them individually ...)

Thanks ... yet again ... for the help.

Rick

That's interesting I didn't know that .wav's were preferred. I'll have to look at converting my .mp3s to wav. I still have to normalize a few of them but, so far so good.

-Evan

6 songs sequenced so far for 2007