Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Output and CAT5 (uk)

Jeffrey681

Hi Guys

I wondered if someone can offer some advice on the following:

I am planning my first display for next Christmas, I have ordered 2 controllers to assemble and have a few questions,

My plans are for LEDs only and will need to purchase them at some stage, (us?uk?)my system will be geared to 240v, I understand that I can put 2 supplies into the controller to get 20amps on each side although using only LEDs will have very little draw on the supply and perhaps 1 will be suffice.

I will be using 1 channel to support 5 strings of Red going to 5 Mini trees, the same will apply to another 4 channels, my plan is 5 trees with 5 strings on each.

Going back to the controller, I have 16 channels and plan to use most of them for one part of my display, can someone advise what voltage is delivered by each channel on the output, also can I use CAT5 direct from the controller outputs to the trees? will save lots of extension leads, have a drawing if someone would like me to send it to them.

Or do I need to run extensions to the first tree and the daisy chain to the other four using extension leads (lots of leads)? I am open to any advice as a newbie who’s fascinated by the whole subject.

Thanks in anticipation

Jeff

I would advise against the idea of using CAT5 for power. Stick to electrical extension cords. If the LED's will plug in end to end, then you could do that, then connect them to a channel.

The controllers, when purchased assembeled by LOR, can have a maximum of 8 amps per channel. Of course you can't have all 8 channels fully loaded with 8 amps, as that would exceed the amperage rating of the entire controller, much less that side.

<snip>

Going back to the controller, I have 16 channels and plan to use most of them for one part of my display, can someone advise what voltage is delivered by each channel on the output, also can I use CAT5 direct from the controller outputs to the trees? will save lots of extension leads, have a drawing if someone would like me to send it to them.

Don said he would advise against using Cat-5 cable for power. I will be far more blunt about it.

DO NOT USE CAT-5 CABLE for your controller power output!

Two reasons. First is that Cat-5 cable is not rated for the voltage. I would not use it for 120V and definitely not for your 240V. Second reason is that Cat-5 is normally 24 gauge wire so it can't handle much current (although it could handle an LED string).

Jeff,

Each channel delivers the line voltage to the device plugged into it. In your case, I believe that's 240 volts. It is your responsibility and your liability to ensure whatever you use to deliver that voltage to the device is fully capable to safely deliver that voltage without causing fire or electrical shock.

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable the MAXIMUM voltage -DC, not AC - is 125 volts for cat 5. Never run anything at maximum, since that assumes everthing is perfect, there has been no degradation of the wire due to weather and sunlight and no damage due to the cable getting snagged on something or being tripped over.

You don't have to use 2 wire extension cords; you can use a cable that has a common neutral with multiple "hot" leads. Just be sure that if you do so, you do so safely, with connectors and wire that can withstand the voltages and currents involved and have enough resiliency to protect you and everyone else from electrical shock and fire.

Cat5 Cable has a very low amperage rating. Going by that Wiki page that Jack posted it's 0.577 Amps. I would not advise using it to power anything that is not rated to be powered by POE (power over ethernet)

One of the biggest things in this hobby is Knowledge in electrical safety. For your safety Please always make sure wire and connectors meet the amperage and voltage rating, And that it is designed for the location you are putting it in.

For the lights on the trees one thing you could use is spt1 wire. It sounds like you want to have one channel supplying to 5 items. You would need Spt1 wire 1 male plug, 1 female end of line plug, and 4 female in line (middle of line) plugs. This would give you 5 plugs where you need them for 1 channel. Then do the same for the rest.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your comments, the learning process continues, firstly I fully understand your concerns on safety, (retired Firefighter) I am still at the stage of drawing up my plans including the wiring, these will be checked out by a few of my electrical friends prior to construction.

CAT 5 GONE, I am now looking at building dongles for each tree and running 6 core flex to the first dongle and daisy chain to the other dongles, 5 channels can be accomodated along with a common earth, (Ground). and yes one channel will support 5 strings (same Colour) one on each tree.I understand that the sequencing will be the same for each tree, but this is my first go and whos knows, still learning. Please feed back if again I have my plans a little 'out of line'

My dongles will have 10 way connector blocks, 5 for colours and 5 for common ground and will stay as part of the tree, the 6 core will be wired into each block on set up but will be disconected for breaking down the display. hope this makes sense

Jeff

I have no issue with you doing it that way, as long as you're sure the wire and connectors will safely handle the current and voltage you intend on using.

Make sure you document that connector block, and save that documentation in several locations. Nothing is worse than two years later trying to figure out how you connected it when you first built it.

I don't know your location or how many fellow blinky-flashy people are around you. Here near Raleihg, NC, there's a group of us who try to define common "standards" so that we can swap units/lights between us if we need to. For example, we did a local group buy of the "Mighty Mini" flood lights (RGBW) a couple years ago. For connetors, we all agreed to use RJ 45 jacks on cat 5 cable (24 volts DC, less than 1/2 amp per color.) That would allow us to "spare" each other - if one of us had a unit go out during a display season, and another of us had one he/she wasn't using for their display, they could loan it to the first person who could use it without modification. We have also done controller loans for the same reason.

Just something to consider if there's a fellow decorator or more near you.

I have no issue with you doing it that way, as long as you're sure the wire and connectors will safely handle the current and voltage you intend on using.

Make sure you document that connector block, and save that documentation in several locations. Nothing is worse than two years later trying to figure out how you connected it when you first built it.

I don't know your location or how many fellow blinky-flashy people are around you. Here near Raleihg, NC, there's a group of us who try to define common "standards" so that we can swap units/lights between us if we need to. For example, we did a local group buy of the "Mighty Mini" flood lights (RGBW) a couple years ago. For connetors, we all agreed to use RJ 45 jacks on cat 5 cable (24 volts DC, less than 1/2 amp per color.) That would allow us to "spare" each other - if one of us had a unit go out during a display season, and another of us had one he/she wasn't using for their display, they could loan it to the first person who could use it without modification. We have also done controller loans for the same reason.

Just something to consider if there's a fellow decorator or more near you.

Jack thanks for that.

Here in the UK I know of very few who are involved locally, if any, the wire and connectors will be rated prior to purchase so no issues there, I document everything I am doing at the moment. My 'Dongle' box design is nearly complete, in each dongle the connector block is colour coded for each channel for future referance to aid break down, I have done a drawing but not sure how to post it.

Thanks Again

Jeff