Light-O-Rama Forums

One last question before I pull the trigger

Mike C.

Getting ready to place my first order with LOR and wanted to make sure I buy

everything i need. So this is my plan;

1 starter kit with the advance license

1 PC-CTB16PC controller kit (save some cash for future controllers)

and the superstar add-on

I was looking for the USB485B but its on backorder.

So I want to start with a 32 channel system this year and wanted to get a jump on it. I still need the FM transmitter but i need to do some more homework before I buy one. Maybe during the two sales this year I can pick up a couple more diy kits and maybe one or two CCR's. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

I would wait and see if there is going to be an inventory reduction sale this year. I personally like this one http://www.dagcoelectronics.com/store/500-mw-rangestar-wireless-music-long-range-fm-transmitter-2 It's sold by a US company so you can call customer support. And you have a lifetime warranty on manufacturer defects.

Mine is two years old and I have a short in the audio adapter he is letting me send it back for repair.

I have waited a couple more weeks before to see if they were going to do an inventory reduction sale, every little bit saved can be more for you to use somewhere else. It looks like you have done your research and are ready to jump in, it is a blast watching the results. Just remember to have fun and involve the family.

Why do you want the advanced version to start? Even basic version might work, esp. if no superstar. Might be able to save now and upgrade to advanced in a later year. Also, not sure why you'd need superstar either. The reason to get it might be that you want it to autoprogram songs for you. I might skip the CCRs till you get one year under your belt first.

• Like 2

There is no problem going with the advanced. I found myself discovering all the things I could do with advanced and was glad I got advanced from the get go!

Thanks for replying I've been trolling the LOR forum since Dec. 2011. I'm finally ready to get started, I spent a good part of last year reading and watching videos. I want to go with the advance license right away because I don't want to go back and forth slowly upgrading. Last year I worked on buying my LED lights, SPT-1 cord and plugs. The super star add on is a must for what I have planned for this year's Christmas. I have a play list of about 120 songs I want to rotate. I want to use the Auto sequence to help me layout the song. From there I want to edit, cut and paste the song to my liking. I've read they call the auto sequencer a microwave and I'm ok with that. I know i'll catch some heat for it But I cant afford to have all the songs customed sequenced by one of the LOR big boys/gals. I'm in no rush to get into CCR's but if can get one or two on sale then I'm all

Over it. DMX is out of the question for now it sounds scary.

Edited by Mike C.

Does the auto sequencer work in the demo mode? I haven't played with demo version in a long time. For me, it wasn't worth the extra expense. Getting advanced in the first purchase is the cheapest way to get it. It sounds like you're really prepared to jump in. Have fun!

I'm about half and half with LOR and DMX controllers. DMX isn't that hard to learn and I like it for running RGB dumb ribbon. My LOR DC controllers are used for running high powered leds that DMX can't handle as easy.

Does the auto sequencer work in the demo mode? I haven't played with demo version in a long time.

<snip>

If you mean does instant sequence in Superstar, yes it does. The only thing you can't do without a Superstar license is export the sequence to the LOR Sequence Editor.

I only suggested lower than Basic if your looking for ways to save money NOW. Upgrading really isn't a pain ot re-install ... but I understand wanting to go advanced from the start ... just wanted to make sure you knew why you were spending the money on it ... and obviously you do !

I only suggested lower than Basic if your looking for ways to save money NOW. Upgrading really isn't a pain ot re-install ... but I understand wanting to go advanced from the start ... just wanted to make sure you knew why you were spending the money on it ... and obviously you do !

I know what you're saying about upgrading not being a pain, but I'm a compulsive buyer. When I see or find something new I'm restless until I get it. I also collect horror movies and I'm always on the hunt. I have easily 1000+ dvd/blu rays in my collection. With 30-40 movies just sitting there waiting for me to watch them. Lol they might sit there for a while now since I found a new addiction, LOR is like crack.

Once you take that first hit there's no turning back.

here is my two cents, I don't think you will be happy with the auto sequencer,I have played around in the demo and I think it's to flashy blinky. much like a mr christmas. I have not seen any video of a sequence someone has done using it so amybe I'm wrong. The main reason I started using lor is the ability to make the light do what I want. but you are looking good in all the other areas

agree about auto sequencing. IMO the best way to start is to download some of the sequences people shared and start adapting them to your display. This way youget something up quickly and it helps with the learning curve

Here's my nickles worth. This was my first year. I bought my controller back in Sept. with the basic plus. Come October I added another controller and upgraded to Advanced. I put on my show for Christmas, and as of January I have bought the Super Star with 8 CCR Lic. and a week later after playing with Super Star, I upgraded to 24 CCR Lic. However, to export, you don't need to get the 24CCR Lic. I think it would export with a 2 CCR Lic. But, I've made plans to move into the smart RGB world. That's the only reason I upgraded to the 24 CCR Lic. This hobby has me thinking about it all the time. I hope the newness wears off. And soon.

You'll have great fun.

Thanks for the input and comments if means a lot, every since 2011 the wheels have been turning. I'm looking to add some arches, firesticks, superstrings on the rooflines and two or three mini spiral trees(if I could make them work right). I have a Laundry list of things I need and have to do for this year's Christmas.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mike, listen, I am having a ball with what i do, and have been doing this for a long time now, there's lots of great people here to give you advice and help if you need it. take your time because once your in....like they say ....your hooked. learning the software and all the features in it will be your biggest battle. I remember like it was yesterday when i did, I was on the pc for hours, anyway all the things you want to do are very doable, you just need to practice and enjoy. Now as far and which ver of lor, Indi has a good thought. I don't use ccr or ccp .....yet. but i to upgraded and bought the advanced Lic one for the visualizer its the greatest, again others might say differently but if you want to see your setup how it really looks compared to colored blocks on the screen that's the way to go, ive over the years used the standard ver, i even upgraded when the upgrade first came out and never used it. then at the end of this past season gave the visualizer a shot and I will never go back. so, since you are just starting out I thought I would just let you my thoughts.

again just have fun, and enjoy.

Ralph