Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie in over his head way too early.

SparkDr

Just got my first controller and purchased a ready to go 16 channel sequence and then bought the matching music download. When I put them together in the sequence editor, my music starts before the lights. I've found a 7/10th of a second blank spot at the beginning of the lighting sequence to be the culprit. Can I simply start over, delete this blank chunk from the sequence, and then add the music to solve the problem or am I heading down the wrong path? I'm working my way through the tutorials one at a time but this whole process is a little overwhelming and discouraging this early in the game.

this whole process is a little overwhelming and discouraging this early in the game.

as it was for most of us..hang in there..it gets easier... B)

• Like 1

Only 300 and some odd days left until Thanksgiving. Don't panic yet.... ;) I'm a newbie too, and it is certainly a challenge. But trust me, once the lights come on, no matter how new you are at this, it's all worth it.

• Like 1

its tough when you are new.. im going through the same thing right now.. even though im using someone elses sequence i still have to modify it to my liking and my setup.. im basically only using their sequence to get the beat together a little better.. also learning a lot by looking at and modifying someone elses sequence... this is why we bought our first controller and started working on it already. the rest of the year is finishing up sequences and ordering controllers and lights where needed

Edited by gc75067

where in TX are you?

There are alot of us in the Dallas/Ft Worth Area.

I was able to meet and learn from guys in the area when I first started.

Edited by dknahoolewa

Also do a search for Audacity on the Forum. make sure your music is constant bite rate. also this program could remove the portion of the music at the beginning. It's a free software

Edited by MCas4380

I am only a few days new!! I have looked at the software and my jaw hit the ground. Hopefully, I can conquer this software, I'm not a geek on these computers. Any suggestions as to a starting point? I purchased the advanced S3 thinking that I would eventually figure it out! I'm in Oklahoma and

would love to have a one day class on this. HELP!!!!!

I'm in Oklahoma and would love to have a one day class on this. HELP!!!!!

Fly me out there and I will give you a TWO day class!! :rolleyes:

I would first suggest start playing with it...read thru the manual, maybe download someone elses free sequences...see how they have done things...THEN ask some questions...

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 2

I am only a few days new!! I have looked at the software and my jaw hit the ground. Hopefully, I can conquer this software, I'm not a geek on these computers. Any suggestions as to a starting point?

Watch the LOR training tutorials, they are very helpful. There is a terrific manual as well. Only trouble I'm having with it is that it's very long and I find that I don't have enough time to read a whole "chapter" in one sitting. With the videos, I can digest more info in a short time...plus I'm more of a visual guy that needs to see and touch things to really get the hang of it. That's the same approach I try with my wife, but it often gets me a slap upside the head... :blink::lol:

• Like 2

My first year I started sequencing (editing) two or three weeks before we went live. There were times when I wanted to punch the computer. After that season was done I printed and read the help file and watch the videos http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCf2G7sS0DmUX6jkINH6AQ-A

You'll be happy you did.

I echo the sentiment of others. There's no way to learn except by doing it. None of us were one with the software until we got used to using it.

The single best route for learning what you need to know to at least get started is located at the top of this very page. Click on "S3 Tutorial Videos' and start anywhere.

The other piece of advice I have is to start a new sequence (either animation or music) and just work your way through all the software menus to check what each thing does. Some of it will make sense immediately once you see the result, some of it won't make sense until you get farther along.

But in the end, there's no substitute for doing it. So what if your first couple of sequences look crappy? Every one of us has been there, done that. I still have the first sequence I ever did. No one except me will EVER see it. But it serves me well. Every now and then when I start to take myself too seriously I'll take a look at it... one of the best reality checks there is...

If you're serious about this, by the time lighting season gets here your crappy sequences will have been replaced by ones you're proud to show off.

• Like 1

Just wanted to jump back into the conversation here to shout out a thank you to all for the help & encouragement. With your input, the problem is now solved and I have since written my own intro sequence and built my first musical show. We've had a blast messing with my 1st 16 channel test setup on my desk here at work. I had never heard of the Light-O-Rama name until it was mentioned on a crazy Christmas lights TV show before Christmas and was really excited to learn that their world headquarters is less than 3 miles from my home. Ironically, there is no one to my knowledge running a show within a 30 mile radius of their HQ. I'm stunned at the missed marketing opportunity there, but am really stoked to be the 1st in my area to jump on board. I even stopped by their place the other day & picked up my advanced level software disc & USB adapter. Sweet! I think I've got a bad case of the LOR fever now.

Appreciate the help! I'll start the process and report back. I'm sure there will be some questions, This looks like a great hobby and with your help I can put a good show together by October!! Thanks!!

Appreciate the help! I'll start the process and report back. I'm sure there will be some questions, This looks like a great hobby and with your help I can put a good show together by October!! Thanks!!

this hobby is very well worth all the time and money you put into it.