Light-O-Rama Forums

Large Production

mf112

I have a good understanding on what I need to purchase, and how many of each controllers and accessories that I need to control our setup this upcoming Christmas. My questions start when it comes to distance and area issues. We basically have a 110 acre square that we decorate yearly with lights and have hay rides during December. It's apart of a larger 1000+ acre farm. This square has a circle spring fed pond in the middle, and around the pond is a paved road. There is a 750 lf distance from one side of the paved road, across the pond to the other paved road. There is a fence that essentially runs the square property, and its already lit up. My question lies in achieving not only FM transmission around this 1000' x 1000' square, but getting communication to each controller. If I understand it correctly, I can run Cat 6 cable along the fence for those controllers, linking each to the next, and then the rest that would be randomly placed on the inside of the paved road, inbetween the pond and the road, would be linked together as well. Does all this so far sound plausable? Also, being its RS485, would the inside controllers have to be linked from one end to the other to the outside controllers, or would i have to get a repeater and split the signal? With regards to the FM transmission, I was researching and found larger range FM transmitters outside of LOR sales. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Given the size of the display, I would think that you will end up with at least one RS485 Repeater in the mix, if not two. That would allow you to go beyond the 4000' maximum permitted by the RS485 electrical protocol. It would also allow you to "Y" the connection off at a few points to reach some of the controllers that end up randomly placed inside the main road.

With regards to the FM transmitter, you might want to look in the direction of EDM Transmitters. They are a very good value, and work very well.

Overall it sounds as of you do have a good handle on the LOR product line, and what you would need to do.

you can also look into the "ell wireless transmitters". i have 1 units (1 on the porch and 1 in the yard). they work up to 1000' and i've not had any issues.

it will be a more expensive than running cables around to everything but if you have areas where you can connect a few locations to a central point then it could make your set-up much easier.

i plan on adding 2 more units this year to be able to add more items further around my yard without having to run more cables to each unit.

i don't know what 4000' of cat 6 cable is gonna run you but it may be work comparing it to going wireless.