Light-O-Rama Forums

How are speakers connect to the computer?

zooo

I am woking on getting a LOR setup for this year. How does one connect outdoor speakers to the computer. The LOR "typical setup" shows a direct connection. I will be using a transmitter, but also want to play the music from outdoor speakers.

If you wanted to connect both a transmitter and speakers to your computer, you could use something like this. That would give you two audio outputs, letting you plug the transmitter into one, and the speakers into the other.

Or you could hook up an FM radio to the speakers that just receives the same FM transmission that the visiting cars will receive. That eliminates the need for long cable runs from the computer indoors to the outdoor speakers.

• Like 1

Or you could hook up an FM radio to the speakers that just receives the same FM transmission that the visiting cars will receive. That eliminates the need for long cable runs from the computer indoors to the outdoor speakers.

Do I need a receiver, or is there an outdoor radio that will connect directly with outdoor speakers?

I'm doing it a little more complex (but I'm a techno-geek and I admit it). My LOR computer is in the far back of my house and currently I only need to drive the speakers, but if I do a music synchronized show next year I will need to add the FM transmitter. I have the line output of the PC going into a 12 input Mackie mixer (http://www.mackie.com/products/1202vlz3/index.html) that has 4 mono and 4 stereo pair inputs. There are a few other things that are hooked up to the inputs, but normally only the LOR computer is turned up. The mixer has one stereo pair that drives two 2x75 watt amplifiers in a closet in the front of the house via 100 feet of shielded cable which in turn drive 4 speakers scattered out in the yard. There will be a separate output from the mixer that will drive the FM transmitter which will also have 100 - 200 feet of cable depending on were I actually install it.

I use an old Stereo Amp/Receiver and run speaker wires to my Polk Atrium Outdoor speakers (which in my opinion are WAY better than BOSE..and a half the price...

I use the what Don mentioned...an RCA "Y" plug coming out of the headphone jack of my PC...

Edited by jimswinder

• 3 weeks later...

If you plug an outside speaker into you computer is it loud enough or do you need an amp? Also if you use a show time director is it loud enough or do you need a amp?

You will absolutely need an amp.  The output of a normal sound card is line level and is intended to drive an amplifier (or commonly on your desk, a set of amplified speakers).

Don't know about the showtime director but the speakers should be run thru an amp, especially if using an FM transmitter, as you don't want the output of your computer volume going much above 33%

I use my stereo and run my surround sound speakers outside (Advent indoor\outdoor).  Then I just tune in my radio station.  Yes I have to sacrifice watching a movie in surround sound in December but with the display running I don't have time to watch many movies anyway.

In my setup- I am using a "Y" adapter one side going to the FM Transmitter and the other going to a set of powered speakers.  If you went powered you wouldn't need an additional amp as they are built in...  

Edited by LightguyGreg

I only have speaker out for opening. I use the Y adapter. One goes to FM, the other goes to the transmitter for wireless speakers (which are self powered).

I use my stereo and run my surround sound speakers outside (Advent indoor\outdoor).  Then I just tune in my radio station.  Yes I have to sacrifice watching a movie in surround sound in December but with the display running I don't have time to watch many movies anyway.

given that my display can't support surround sound I just use an inexpensive 100W Receiver and a y-splitter off my laptop.  Got the receiver from BestBuy or NewEgg for $75.

i use the fm transmitter for the christmas show and a set of dell  speakers i found at a yard sale under my porch it has an amp bult in to drive the sub woffer for halloween