Light-O-Rama Forums

Light bulb selection

ronkinch

Another biggie by a newbie that you "been there done that" folks can give me insight on is the bulb selection for a mega light display. I have been flip-flopping on selection and will have to make up my mind very soon since I will soon be ordering. I first thought the 5mm was best because the point source of light was brighter. But it occurred to me that they were more directional in their viewing angle so maybe not as well suited to fill the display with light. I then went to the M6 envelope and now am convinced the C6 is better yet because of its area of illumination. The downside of the larger envelopes are it spreads the light from the LED around a larger area so the viewed illumination seems less bright. The light source from the LEDs are the same in all so the photons emitted are just displayed differently giving a different affect. I'm guessing here and that is why I am posting this question looking for first hand experience from someone that has answers. I'm a retired electrical engineer so have done project design all my career but never such a project as this so have many basic questions.

If you are getting LEDs from one of the companies that sells to this community, I think you are going to be happy with any of those choices. I've used 5mm and m6 in various places in my display, and they all are great.

For a mega-tree, I would probably go with the m6 just because they look more like standard Christmas lights. And, when up there, they will likely be facing various directions, which might be a problem for the 5mms. But I do think it comes down to personal opinion.

I agree that C6 will perform better overall than 5mm. However, I used 5mm for my megatree this year because I found a great deal on them. The brightness was very good and there were no directional issues. Half my displays were incans and the other half was LED. a full megatree of 5mm was a dominate feature and created a great WOW factor.