Light-O-Rama Forums

Ready to Start My Light Show

abruin

As a Christmas present, my wife gave me permission to do a Holiday (and Halloween) light show. Very inspired by the videos posted on LOR.

My background is limited but after reading posts in this Forum, I feel I can do this. I did play the piano for 5 years as a child so I can read some sheet music. I can follow simple instructions on the computer. I have over 200 strings of LED lights (over 12000 lights) and plan to order lots more. I have weekends that I can split between fishing and my light show.

A few questions:

- how hard is it to make those singing faces? Too much for a first time Newbie?

- what do you use to hold those faces in place? Peg boards (not good in the wind)? Chicken wire on PVC pipes? Plastic board? others?

- what do you use to hold the lights in place? Zip ties?

- is the LOR Sequencing software programmed for these faces to sing (calibrated to vioce)?

- for these faces, is a rope light easier then strings of LED?

- how many controllers is a good starting point? 2? 3? 4? more?

Would I be better off purchasing something from someone (wowlights) or make my own?

I live in Irvine (da OC) California.

Thanks - Greg

well ... let's see..., as last year was my first year with LOR. I too am going to make the singing faces this year. After much study on what to use, i think i'am going to use .25" wire, made into 5'x5' grid like this: |___|___| , but with a solid line at the top too.

|___|___|

|___|___|

|___|___|

This will give me the basic framework to then weld my faces, onto the grid. then i think i'll use amber l.e.d. ropelight zip-tied with clear ties to the "face". and yes the

faces will be programed to the vocals, heck i've even began watching myself in the mirror singing to see whan my mouth does what, when heh..heh. sounds like

most people use 7 chs. per face but i may use only 6 chs. just remember to start early, and buy way more extension cords then you think that you'll need.

Big Joe out.

I also forgot to mention that I have not made my LOR purchase yet!

Starting from scratch except my 200 strings of LED lights with some lighted animals. Here is what I'm considering:

- Advanced ShowTime Software Suite S3

- 3 LOR CTB16PC controllers (maybe 4)

- what other hardware?

- what other software? Do most purchase the ShowTime Tunes Ready to Go or Sequences you can Modify?

And of course:

- more extension cords

- more lights

A few questions:

- how hard is it to make those singing faces? Too much for a first time Newbie?

It's not hard at all. The better question is how expensive, by far using incandescent lights and peg board would be the cheapest Then rope light would be the most expensive

- what do you use to hold those faces in place? Peg boards (not good in the wind)? Chicken wire on PVC pipes? Plastic board? others?

I use the green fence post from HD or Lowes

- is the LOR Sequencing software programmed for these faces to sing (calibrated to vioce)?

you can purchase sequences from wowlights.com or http://www.mrtoomanychristmasdecorationsguy.com/

- how many controllers is a good starting point? 2? 3? 4? more?

I had one for years. And i always have a spare just in case

Would I be better off purchasing something from someone (wowlights) or make my own?

I wouldn't unless you like to spend a lot of coin on your faces go here http://www.holidaycoro.com/Halloween-s/1818.htm

Be sure to check out http://www.holidaycoro.com for some already made faces of various types. His method is having punched holes in the coro that bulbs slide into. If you are doing anything wire, where there is no solid background surface to hide extra lights, you should use rope light with short cut points. (Rope light because LED strings can't be cut at random).

Search the forums for ItsMeBob and check out his website, as he's created a software way to help create the sequences to move with the song vocals, which should help you tremendously when sequencing the mouth movements.

Before buying controllers, really think about what you want to animate in your display and get a concrete understanding of what your needs are. Draw it out. Figure out how many strings you will have. Decide on channel need for face movements. Planning takes time, but I've learned this hobby needs a lot of it!

Play around with the software too. Get a feel for it. No need to rush on buying controllers because you can set everything up in software and see what it will look like. Pay attention to springtime LOR sales for controllers.

Thanks for all the helpful hints. Keep them coming!

columbus27- How do you attach the lights to the the green fence post - Zip ties?

jlowe - you're correct, I should draw up plans then make the purchase.

The holidaycoro.com will make my life so much eaiser. Thanks for this link.

Did not get a chance to drive around to look at neighborhood light show displays this year. I've been putting in 60+ hours weekly and working every day (including weekends and Holidays) since the 10th (does anyone have some cheese with my whine).

Laters...

-- Greg --

I would like to say good job starting early. Ive already begun for my Christmas display as I dont do a Halloween setup.

To answer some of your questions

Frames I use are built from 1/2 PVC, zipties are used everywhere, wire I use SPT wire from http://www.christmaslightshow.com/Spt1-Wire-Plugs-and-Sockets-for-Christmas-outdoor-decorations.html is what I used on my first years display, last years shouldnt count.

use Payagayo to sync up your voices http://itsmebob.com/SD.html

If your going to have singers in the setup, you need to add up how many your going to want then for a good filler add 32 channels for the various other stuff. I build my visualizer first to figure out my channel needs then buy what I need. Thats how I do it, many others may have better suggestions.

Also if you havent purchased software yet, do not waste your time buy the advanced.