Light-O-Rama Forums

Purchasing Sequences

SecurityMan

The thing I found out about purchasing a sequence, is not about the task of modifying it to fit your display. That's a given. The reason I purchased a sequence or 5 was to learn. When I ordered my first controller, I also ordered 5 sequences from LOR. Looking at those sequences I learned a lot about the software and away I went. I'm still learning after 2 years of sequencing now.

The next sequence I purchased was a Superstar sequence. When I looked at the way things were done there, away I went with Superstar.

Most purchased sequences are generic to your layout, but specific to the person who created it. I take them at that and try to learn the little things. There are a lot of talented people on here and they are very good at sequencing. Unless you pay to have one created specifically for your layout, there will be a lot of cut and paste and modifying. But, you will learn while doing the work.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

If I read his post right George, its the listening to the music a handful of times, probably running the music thru audacity to get CBR, etc.. trying to visualize in his head what the music should look like on the house , and then laying out the various beat tracks to different timings. He may be using 5 hours as a bit of exaggeration, but definitly some time element in getting ready to color in the first box....

Thanks for trying to answer my question, but unless he shared the answer with you privately, I'd really prefer to see what Clyde has to say. 

It takes me one minute and ten seconds to convert an MP3 from VBR to CBR.  It takes me three and one half minutes to find the beats in a song and set up nine separate freeform timing grids based on the beat.  That comes to about five minutes total and the boxes are ready to be filled in with color.  For the sake of argument, lets pretend it takes a newbie TEN TIMES that long to do those same tasks on their first try, which would truly be an utterly astonishing length of time.  That still leaves a four hour gap between what Clyde posted and reality.

For Clyde's sake, if he's interested, I know I can help him cut that time down dramatically if I have a clearer understanding of what exactly takes so long.  For the sake of newbies reading this thread, I don't think any of us want someone who doesn't know any better reading that and saying "holy crap" and turning away from a hobby that gives people so much pleasure.  Don't you agree?

Thanks for trying to answer my question, but unless he shared the answer with you privately, I'd really prefer to see what Clyde has to say. 

It takes me one minute and ten seconds to convert an MP3 from VBR to CBR.  It takes me three and one half minutes to find the beats in a song and set up nine separate freeform timing grids based on the beat.  That comes to about five minutes total and the boxes are ready to be filled in with color.  For the sake of argument, lets pretend it takes a newbie TEN TIMES that long to do those same tasks on their first try, which would truly be an utterly astonishing length of time.  That still leaves a four hour gap between what Clyde posted and reality.

For Clyde's sake, if he's interested, I know I can help him cut that time down dramatically if I have a clearer understanding of what exactly takes so long.  For the sake of newbies reading this thread, I don't think any of us want someone who doesn't know any better reading that and saying "holy crap" and turning away from a hobby that gives people so much pleasure.  Don't you agree?

Damn George...when you put it that way, how can I NOT AGREE with that logic. I'll keep my mouth shut and let Clyde speak for himself. And I mean that sincerely, I hadn't looked at it from the point of view of scaring someone off from the hobby, or your ability to cut the time down substantially. (thevikester fades into the darkness...)

I had someone give me a few sequences.  I was hoping that there would be timing similar to the timings that I have been doing (lyrics based, beat based, instrument based...)   But nope, it was just the sequence with .05 timings.  

So, I would have had to figure out why they started something (say a chase) at some point.   It just seemed easier to do the thing myself instead of backward engineering it.