Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling low voltage LED strings

Boardies

Hi all

Newbie to LOR from Australia and need some help / advice

Have been advised by a light supplier that I will not be able to use the normal LOR controller to run low voltage LED string lights but will need to cut off the strings "controllers" and wire directly to a LOR DC controller

LOR have told me that I will need to use the CMB16D-QC controller but am pretty much a novice and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or share their experiences with using this controller?

Is it hard to wire up? Is there anywhere on the net that can supply me with more details, how to's, etc? What do I do with the wires from the LED strings to connect them to the controller?

As you can tell any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Tony

Might be best that us yanks stand back and let one of the others from down under chat you up on this subject. By low voltage, I dont know what that is supposed to mean. Are we talking about something below 60VDC? If so, then the two wires on the end of the string would go to the terminals on the controller you called out above. Then you would need a Power Supply to convert your 220VAC to a DC voltage that is the same as what your Low Voltage is. Now if it is below 9VDC you will also need a 9VDC source to power up the electronics of the control board.

But one of your locals can give you better info. Never done what you are doing with what you have. I have made 16 LED strings from scratch and then used the same controller with a 48VDC supply. Put 24 of these strings in candy canes and have them along the perimeter of my yard and then sequence them to chase in several different patterns.

Hi all

Newbie to LOR from Australia and need some help / advice

Have been advised by a light supplier that I will not be able to use the normal LOR controller to run low voltage LED string lights but will need to cut off the strings "controllers" and wire directly to a LOR DC controller

LOR have told me that I will need to use the CMB16D-QC controller but am pretty much a novice and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or share their experiences with using this controller?

Is it hard to wire up? Is there anywhere on the net that can supply me with more details, how to's, etc? What do I do with the wires from the LED strings to connect them to the controller?

As you can tell any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Tony

Might be best that us yanks stand back and let one of the others from down under chat you up on this subject. By low voltage, I dont know what that is supposed to mean. Are we talking about something below 60VDC? If so, then the two wires on the end of the string would go to the terminals on the controller you called out above. Then you would need a Power Supply to convert your 220VAC to a DC voltage that is the same as what your Low Voltage is. Now if it is below 9VDC you will also need a 9VDC source to power up the electronics of the control board.

But one of your locals can give you better info. Never done what you are doing with what you have. I have made 16 LED strings from scratch and then used the same controller with a 48VDC supply. Put 24 of these strings in candy canes and have them along the perimeter of my yard and then sequence them to chase in several different patterns.

Yup, Max-Paul's got it right. Just to say though that different brands of LEDs will sometimes operate on different voltages so this could pose problems. The reason the vendor would say that you cannot use an AC controller is that 'wall worts' and multi-function controllers do not play well with the controller. That said, it works for me. Again you may be better off asking this question on http://AusChristmasLighting.com/