Light-O-Rama Forums

2012 My First Christmas Display Please Comment

RickAbel43

This is my first year with 16 channel Light o Rama and i had roughly 12000 LED Lights plus about 1800 Incandent lights...Please let me know how i did even if it is bad...Thankyou Rick

Well i'm new too and have never done a display (yet). In my opinion, you have a great setup with a lot of elements to choose from. It's hard to believe that's only 16 channels. I'm guessing you're sharing several elements on channels. For my personal taste though, there's too much going on - too many elements switching and too many on at once. Pick and choose fewer elements (if possible with only 16 channels) to work with at a given time (except during a highlight or finale maybe). Perhaps a little more fading so it's not quite so jarring to switch between colors or elements if you need to switch a lot at the same time (because you're sharing channels). Really great start however!

Yeah, it's a bit too fast / flashy...but you know what I'd rather see your display than someone that puchased all the best stuff, paid for all their sequences and then said: hey check my display on my mansion. There's absolutely non of their heart or soul in it!

That's what this hobby is all about! You don't need to pay for all the best and biggest right from the starting line! It's getting out there starting small and building from what you learn over the years!! I started last year with 16ch. I wanted to do this when I 1st saw the video's, but had a small house in the city( was afraid my stuff would be stolen). Bought a new house 5 years ago but still couldn't spend the extra cash on a light show....

Great job, Keep the dream alive!

I would have suggested you light up the house static and program a 16 channel mega tree then add to that over the years. It's a hobby so no matter what have fun

Did you do the sequencing or use Superstar to do it? Like the others have said its a lot to take in. I only made it about ten seconds. You have a lot of great elements out there, but its a bit overwhelming to watch with that much flashing going on. Some channels fading while others are jumping would help. It's my first year too and I am running 32 channels with only 4400 lights. You've got an amazing start - I'd look into getting two more controllers given how large our display is.

You have a lot of nice elements but it looks like its running in fast forward maybe a few more conrollers to slow it down some of the elements a bit

Take about half the lights off the house ,put them on your mega tree , get another controller for it and slow everything down. ;)

I have to agree with slowing things down. After I put everything up and seeing my WOW sequence in live scale, parts of it were way too fast, and I had to slow some of it down. Earlier this year, someone here or at Planet Christmas mentioned not using all of your elements all of the time. I tried to do that with some of my sequences. I'll let others judge how well I managed to do that.

Torqumada

Agreed, lots of great elements but, too much going on and you need to sort of choose which items to light up instead of all at once.

But a good beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou

For all of your Commits, I had only one controller and had all these lights and what the heck i used them all , well not all i had about 3000 lights i did not use , Over the past 3 years i have been buying alot of Leds after christmas and i added about 4000 lights for next year so now i will have about 20000 led for next year....THE 2 9 foor Light show Cone trees i am going to get rid of....If anyone is intersted PM me.....I want to try to get 2 more controllers for next year and like everyone says i need to tone it down alot...Is there anyone that can suggest what they would do with what my house looks like?

What i was thinking for next year split one controller for the house and one controller for 4 Arches over the driveway 4 channels each and one controller for a spiral tree that i am in the process of making this weekend out of PVC i am going to attempt a 15 foot tree...and suggestion there will be helpful....

On the house for one controller i was thinking like this....I am going to keep my Stars on the roof one channel each because that is the one thing that alot of people liked alot.....

1. White trim on Roof 550 Led lights to go aroound roof

2. Red trim on Roof 550 Led Lights to go around roof

3. Star one Red 100 led lights

4. Star two White 100 Led lights

5. Star three Blue 100 Led Lights

6. Star Four Green 100 Led Lights

7. Star Five Yellow 100 Led Lights

I am also adding two outlines of Tree's to the Roof in Green that will be 14 feet in height each between Stars

8. Tree on Roof 200 Led lights

9. Tree on Roof 200 Led Lights

10. Bottom Trim in White 400 Led lights for each white and Red

11. Bottom Trim in Red to where i can get the red and red roof outline to flash 10th of a second apart from each other like the house is Jumping also in the White i want to do that the same way because on a few of my sequences i had it set for that and thats what people said it looked like that the house was jumping...Like it kinda looked in this video at around 9 seconds into video from white to Blue....

12. Three Windows outline in Blue 70 count sets 210 led lights

13. Three Windows outline in Green 210 led lights

14. Garage Door and Front door in Blue 170 led lights

15. Garage door and Front door in Green 170 led lights

16. Snowflake lights hung under roof line in front 4 sets of led snowflakes 90 lights per set 360 led lights total

So alittle over 4000 lights on the house verses this year i had close to 7000 lights on house.....

that will leave me around 16000 led lights for Arches and Mega Tree so any help or suggesting would be helpful...

Thankyou again all Rick

I was thinking like this that i would have the house outlined in red and white and the roof in red and white... Then windows and door in Green and Blue...

I figure i would have about 4000 less lights on the house for next year which will leave me more for Arches and Mega Tree...

Oh

Also forgot to mention this was my first year in Tallahassee and i was voted the third best house with lights in the community paper... which made me fell really great, I also collected over 300 pounds of food and $465.00 in cash for the Homeless Shelter....Rick

Youve got plenty of elements to start with, great job there. As for the sequencing, just relax. Let them build up upon the song. Look at any of the ol' timers here. Its one thing I took to heart. Start with a few elements, as the song builds add more and more as the song goes on.

If you used Superstar, dont do that again.

Start from a fresh sequence and use elements to keep the beat, like your tree or windows. Then as the song intensifys add the roof, then the stars and so on. Just take your time. If you go right out of the gate with all lights, what is there to surprise in the middle or end of the song? Think of it like a movie, do you want the hero to kill the bad guy at the start, then follow the heros day to lunch, dinner, do laundry, then bed time? Nope, you want it to build up as it does along.

You have an amazing start, now make it an amazing show.

Thankyou WilliamS

I did the Sequencing Myself , I did not know about Superstar....I am working in my Visualizer right now and after i get what i want i will post that on here and see what people think how i have changed stuff and hope i will be getting better....we will see ... Rick

Im sure you will do great. Like I said all the elements are there, you have a great setup. Now that the fun of the first show is over, and I remember mine it was great. Time to really work those elements into a show! Dont let anyone tell you its not great, its not for us to decide its for you. I envy the yard space and I hope you keep it up. Add a few more controllers and you will really be in the business of smiles.

You'll want to save this video and then watch it a year or two from now. You'll look at it and go 'WTF was I thinkin?'. I've got one or two songs that I have to start over from scratch this year. I wasn't happy with the way it looked but didn't have time last year to modify it and this year's setup, the song looks horrible.

Please let me know what you think now, I set up a setup in Visualizer and toned it down alot and redid the sequence alot...so please let me know if i am doing better? This is just 16 channels on the house i am going to get atleast one more controller for next year depending on funds if i will beable to get 2 more controllers ...so any help or suggestions will really help.. Thankyou

• The topic was locked