Light-O-Rama Forums

New to light-o-rama. What do i need to get?

Sheldon_15

Hello,

My name is sheldon and im only 16 yrs/old. I plan on buying light o rama for 2013 christmas. But im not sure what to get. Or even where to start. I have quite a bit of christmas lights but plan on getting tons more. I have the deorating part down. Just not sure where to start with buying the LOR set. Please help.

Thanks,

Sheldon

post-12189-0-90460000-1356752983_thumb.j

A lot of people start with the 16 Channel Residential Series Starter Kit.

The kit would have everything you need to get started. A controller, software, USB485 adapter and a cable to get from the adapter to your controller.

As you expand, you would only need to get additional controllers and cables (to get from controller to controller). Don't forget the software license levels. If you start with the 'Basic' license, you can only control two controllers. If you want to control more than two, you would need to upgrade your license to a higher level. You can see the license levels here.

From the looks of your picture, you'll want to get the advanced level. It's cheaper doing the software upgrade with initial purchase than upgrading later. Your license will also be good for 5 computers. It's best to have a dedicated computer to run your lights and it just needs to be barebone. Rumage sales or craigslist are great places to get cheap computers for this. For sequencing, you'll want something beefier with a beefy graphics card and preferably dual monitor setup.

For your audio, garage sales again for speakers and receivers. Do a search on the forum for EDM transmitters.

Welcome to the addiction!

I'd make sure you have your parents blessing before doing something like this. That being said, there are far worse things for a teenager to do than decorations and sequencing.

I would start by first determining the number of channels you will need for your display. Do you want everything in a certain group to be on one channel, such as the roof icicle lights, or do you want to have multiple channels, such as each icicle light strand being on its own channel? Once you determine the number of channels needed you can go to license level. Personally, I prefer the advanced but you may decide the Basic Plus is perfect for you.

Next, get the necessary hardware. As there is a lot of time between now and next Christmas, look for used controllers or wait for sales. Save yourself some money. This is also where the number of channels comes into play. 16 may seem to be enough but you soon realize you need 64 to do what you truly want to do. Average price of a controller can be $250+ new, excluding how and where to store them. Do the math. It can add up quickly.

Did we forget to mention extension cords? 500' may seem like a lot but it can go quickly if you have ten 50' runs. You may determine you really need 2,000 to 3,000 feet. And don't forget the plugs to go with them.

All that is in addition to what others have said.

One last thing to consider. Where will you be in 3 - 6 years? The reason I ask is it is all fine and dandy to have the equipment but all that equipment will need to go with you wherever you go in the future unless you are willing to set it up and your current residence year after year, even once you are off to college.

While it is always fun and exciting to see the various shows people have done, in your particular case at this particular time I would recommend waiting or going with a Mr Christmas box for $100 or less. This recommendation is only until your future is more settled.

Why spend the money now when you don't know what your future may hold?

I'd make sure you have your parents blessing before doing something like this. That being said, there are far worse things for a teenager to do than decorations and sequencing

I would start by first determining the number of channels you will need for your display. Do you want everything in a certain group to be on one channel, such as the roof icicle lights, or do you want to have multiple channels, such as each icicle light strand being on its own channel? Once you determine the number of channels needed you can go to license level. Personally, I prefer the advanced but you may decide the Basic Plus is perfect for you.

Next, get the necessary hardware. As there is a lot of time between now and next Christmas, look for used controllers or wait for sales. Save yourself some money. This is also where the number of channels comes into play. 16 may seem to be enough but you soon realize you need 64 to do what you truly want to do. Average price of a controller can be $250+ new, excluding how and where to store them. Do the math. It can add up quickly.

Did we forget to mention extension cords? 500' may seem like a lot but it can go quickly if you have ten 50' runs. You may determine you really need 2,000 to 3,000 feet. And don't forget the plugs to go with them.

One last thing to consider. Where will you be in 3 - 6 years? The reason I ask is it is all fine and dandy to have the equipment but all that equipment will need to go with you wherever you go in the future unless you are willing to set it up and your current residence year after year, even once you are off to college.

While it is always fun and exciting to see the various shows people have done, in your particular case at this particular time I would recommend waiting or going with a Mr Christmas box for $100 or less. This recommendation is only until your future is more settled.

I've been planing on doing this for years. And I feel 2013 is the year I'm going to do it. And just because Im a teen doesn't me anything. All you have to have is an imagination and the will power. Which I have a lot of. Thanks for your input. :)

I'd make sure you have your parents blessing before doing something like this. That being said, there are far worse things for a teenager to do than decorations and sequencing

I've been planing on doing this for years. And I feel 2013 is the year I'm going to do it. And just because Im a teen doesn't mean anything. All you have to have is an imagination and the will power. Which I have a lot of. Once I put my mind to something, I'm going and there ain't no stopping me.

But Thanks for your opinion. :)