Light-O-Rama Forums

C9 Covers with RGB Pixels

Dave H1

I'm interested in how many members are using the C9 covers with their pixels or even the "dumb" nodes.

Are you using them in the vertical or horizontal position?

How does the brightness compare to a typical C9 dimmable LED with the 5 leds?

Any pictures in either or both positions would be great.

I also am considering outlining with nodes and covers, has anyone done it and does it look like normal stings of LEDs? The wife wants more red and green next year, its either money on new dumb leds, or money on some pixels...

Dave,

I bought these covers and used on these pixels. Here is a video of them in action directly under the center star.

They are horizontal mounted on 1/2" electrical conduit.

At a distance of about 25 ft. it is hard to tell them apart from the C7 led's I use around my windows and doors.

I like the look and they have performed well in my display.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the information and video. Those are exactly the covers and pixel types I am considering. I'm still trying to understand whether the the 5v or 12v are the route to take. Keeps seeing info that there is greater light output with the 5v since they run more efficient. Any input would be appreciated.

I am assuming that you are referring to the four (4) rays under your center star???

Could find any horizontal lights other than the ones on the fascia and around the door

Happy New Year

Dave,

Here is a picture of it installed. Check this thread on 5v vs. 12v lights.

Taybrynn,

I had to use a heat gun like this to heat up the neck of the cover and when soft pinched them down with pliers and then used a pixel

to test the tightness and adjust as needed. They stay on real well without glue or silicon.

Ed

post-1896-0-03395500-1356976478_thumb.jp

Edited by Ed Slonka Jr

no, they are different than the LOR pixels. LOR typically includes built-in controllers and are of a higher overall retail quality. No trying to start any arguments over quality, but just saying the LOR products are tested more and have quality standards that can better control.

Dave,

The ones I used are 12v. But as I ponder more pixels I am torn between the two voltages.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages but will have to make up my mind when I lay out what I want to do for next year.

Dennis,

No I did not think about the C7. I liked the look of the GECE's and that is why I went with the C9.

I would imagine you would have to adjust the neck on the C7's also being they are similar in construction.

Ed

Dave,

The ones I used are 12v. But as I ponder more pixels I am torn between the two voltages.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages but will have to make up my mind when I lay out what I want to do for next year.

Ed

Well, guess if I go the 5v route (which everyone at ACL recommends) I can always un-wrap the 5v leads from the computer power supplies.

Don't know if I want to mix the power draw of 5v and 12v from the same unit, especially since the pixels will be a big draw

Looking at Ray's store a lot of his 2811 pixels are 5v. So I have a feeling that will be the way to go.

In the little bit of research that I have done I found that the c7 covers are for the 8 millimeter pixels or nodes and the c9 covers are for the 12 millimeter pixels or nodes.

I don't know is this is always the case but it is the information I got from 1 of the Chinese vendors.

Bob

In the little bit of research that I have done I found that the c7 covers are for the 8 millimeter pixels or nodes and the c9 covers are for the 12 millimeter pixels or nodes.

I don't know is this is always the case but it is the information I got from 1 of the Chinese vendors.

Bob

Bob,

I'm planning on utilizing these style of pixels

The lower shoulder is 12mm while the led is 8mm

so the C9 cover will fit on these

RGB-full-LED-pixel-module-WS-2801-IC-DC5V-input-50pcs-a-string.jpg_50x50.jpg

no, they are different than the LOR pixels. LOR typically includes built-in controllers and are of a higher overall retail quality. No trying to start any arguments over quality, but just saying the LOR products are tested more and have quality standards that can better control.

I just wanted to know if the covers would fit on the LOR pixels. I have a set that I bought in the spring sale and have not used yet.

Paul,

Here is the physical data on the pixel I use. Hope that helps. Do not know data on LOR pixels.

Maybe someone can supply if you do not have it.

Ed

Product Size:drill bit size .47" (12mm)

max material thickness .18" (5mm),

total height .91"

base .84" (21.5 mm) x .79" (20 mm)