Light-O-Rama Forums

Interested In Starting Out With LOR, not sure what to expect

Armored_Eagle

To start I would like to introduce myself to the community of LOR users. My name is Michael & I'm from a small town of about 13,000 people in Central Illinois. I have been looking into upgrading what I've used the last couple of years for my lighting effects for Christmas. ( I have previously used the Lights & Sounds of Christmas & for the last 2 years have used the Gemmy 6 channel w/timer & MP3 player)

I have been looking at information about the LOR product on Planet Christmas over the last couple of years & have been pretty impressed with what I have read about this product.

What concerns me the most is where do I start (i.e. channels controllers etc.)

I am also not very computer/software savvy & am not sure if seqeuencing songs is the way to go for me or if I could actually take an SD memory card with my converted MP3 files & use them with this product. (as currently I just hook my ipod up to my Gemmy system.

I do know that if I do start with LOR I'm currently thinking of starting out with 32 channels unless I'm getting in over my head in the beginning.

I also know that I won't have the funds to start on this until February when I get my tax refund back. With everything I have read on Planet Christmas about this product I am quite eager at starting out this endeavor.

I would really appreciate experienced users input as well as newcomers input who have just started this endeavor to help me get started.

Thank you in advance for your help & input.

Armored_Eagle (Michael)

Michael,

You can download the software now and start working with it. The 'demo' mode of the software won't let you control lights, and has a few other limitations. However, it's a great way to start learning the software.

Anytime you see a Light-O-Rama system with lights on, it's been programmed to do so. It does not have the ability to react to musical inputs in real time. (Thus you couldn't just put MP3's in the SD card and expect the controllers to do something.) The good news, though, you can practice with the software now to see what you think of it.

LOR has two sales per year. Spring and Summer. Join the mailing list and you will be notified when they are schedule to start.

• Like 1

The hardware is really the easy part. The software and its understanding is what makes a show good or bad. Start playing with the sequence editor and visualizer now. 32 channels can be made to look amazing so dont stress the channel counts. Start slow, learn the software and read the forum. There are thousands of threads of how we do it. Start by reading up and you will get a good idea. As you get closer ask more specific questions to what you cant figure out.

Its a fun hobby, but there is some work involved.

Welcome aboard!

You're going to want to search some key words to help you get started. Snubbers, learn what they are and how to make. SPT wire, making your own cords and where to buy along with Vampires. Tips, Tricks and Keyboard Shortcuts.

Download user manuals an watch tutorial videos.

Most of us use the residential PC series controllers, from kits to fully assembled.

Welcome from another Central Illinoisan. I'm in Springfield and would be glad to answer any questions. There are quite a few of us in IL. I also started with the lights and sound system. Feel free to ask me questions if you like. My Facebook page is in my signature or you can PM me here. there is a lot to learn do you reading but you will find in no time that your getting the hang of it. you really should go right now and start playing with the free demo software it will help as you learn.

Edited by MCas4380

I agree that hardware is the easy part other than the cost. Seems each component is about $250 or so. Start with a plan of what you wish to control and be sure to add extras as I'm positive ideas will pop into your head. The sequencing takes the majority of the time and as Don said, you can start doing that now but again, you'll need a plan. Its easier to sequence all of the light circuits at the time, then going back and adding another here and there.

Start with a plan of what you wish to control and be sure to add extras as I'm positive ideas will pop into your head.

dgrant is right. This is where I think you should start too. Design out what you want to control...that will the determining factor for the number of channels, and ultimately the number of controllers needed to support your design. It will get very consuming if you don't know what success looks like before you venture into this.

Welcome aboard. You can do a lot with 16 channels and you can do a lot more with 32. Last year was my first year and I started out with 32 channels. I ended up using 28 channels for my show last year. This year I went to 64 ;-) . Take a look at lots of videos and pick some elements you like. If you are going to have a mega tree you probably should go with 32 as the M trees eat up some channels. Lay out a design with elements and how many channels each element has.

Keep it simple the first year.

You will need more extension cords than you think.

Buy lots of cable ties.

There are lots of sequences out there that people have shared.

Have fun with it.

I just got my first 2 controllers this year, and have not had them connected to lights except in the living room. Being a complete noob myself, I have been reading, reading, reading and watching the tutorials on the forum before I purchased anything. I started with the demo of the sequence editor and it really helped me decide if I was going to be able to do this. 2 controllers and 60 boxes of lights that I bought today, kind of told me I could. If you are stumped on something, just ask in the forum. You will not find a better group of people that are willing to help than here. I know, I have asked and the questions are still coming to mind.

Read, plan, watch the tutorial videos, and ditto what others have said.

Stock up on the essentials, including alcohol, but don't forget about all the wire, lights, etc, you will need. Know ahead of time you will blow the budget. The only question is by how much.

Sequencing involves taking what others have done and customizing it to your display or building one from scratch. It can be a pain but it can be fun too.

Above all, make certain you enjoy this. If it ain't fun it ain't worth doing.

• Like 1