Light-O-Rama Forums

making your own window frames

Gone LED

yeah i haven't used a twist tie on a garbage bag in atleast a year or two.

you'll think twice about throwing that tie away when you finish that next loaf of bread.

i know you can by rolls of twist ties from a few stores but why if you can get them off the bread, garbage bags, and its amazing how many of those end up on all kinds of kids toys.

good luck.

• 3 months later...

thanks tony,

just remember you can put any colors together that you want but if you can set-up your strings as if it was an rgb then you can make your strings any color you want. full 100% red green and blue makes white. so the possiblities are endless. it also gives you the ability to fade from 1 color to another. it takes a little getting used to how the software fades and does effects but once you learn a few shortcuts there are alot of neat things you can do.

i don't know if they are called superstrings (that term is new to me). it would definately be an easy way to trim out your roof or windows or really around anything. the good thing is if you can get strings that have the bulbs spaced together the same you could really use these anywhere. it would also help with hanging them. you would only need to clip them every few blubs and have endless options as far as colors and effects.

you could really have alot of your house trimmed out and change the house according to the mood of each song.

i have found out that the led lights that work the best are the 5mm. they seem to work the best because you don't have the cover getting in the way of the colors blending together.

you could also do it with incandescents as well. the logic is the same and i haven't tried it with incan but i'm sure it would work.

it takes a little time to twist tie the blubs together but the really good thing is when you pack up at the end of the season then you can just leave the 3 strings together. it will save you alot of time next year if you know that you can trim things out quickly without having to assemble the strings again.

you could even zip tie the strings together. it works but i would rather use twist ties cause they don't weaken like zip ties can.

Kelly,

This is a really neat idea and I'm going to try it out this year. I have a quick question for you. for example i am going to use the 3 strings of RGB around my garage. I will tie all 3 string to PVC.. as you have mentioned. now when it comes to connecting them to my controller... do you recommend i plug each color into its own channel? or plug all 3 together and into one channel. I'm rookie and just trying to wrap my head around these. I'm just starting to work with the sequencer.. so I'm a bit lost when you referenced..... to create an RGB channel.

I appreciate your feedback and time.

Thanks Chad

RGB is 3 different channels so you have the ability to control the different intensities to get different colors.

RGB is 3 different channels so you have the ability to control the different intensities to get different colors.

ok.. that clears it up for . i was figuring they had their own channel just wanted to make sure

Thanks

• The topic was locked