Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I make a quality video?

raubuchon75

So I have some okay video from my cell, however the audio just is not that great. What software are you guys using to make your videos look and sound so good? I tried the wife's new Fuji HD camera and was not impressed with the quality of video nor the sound (my cell phone did a much better job). Do I need to actually go out and purchase a camcorder? I would much rather spend the money on clearance LED's or another controller or two....

There are so many great video's out there... Please tell me everything you guys are using.....

Below is a link to what my phone has done...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7Tc_wyrIvdU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DRuT1IqH0VA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do my video with a cannon T1i camera on manual focus.I bought a window mount for it on ebay.I just turn up the volume on my car radio and it does pretty good.Alot of people on here add the audio after taking the video.

Most cameras have a HD choice.

Use a Tripod, turn on Manual Focus, forget the audio.

After you take the video, use Windows movie maker.

Make sure to tune the volume down all the way,

then add your MP3 track and align it to the lights.

Then Movie Maker will ask to save, use a YouTube option if you can.

Or save as to send by email.

I think your videos may come out good...

Hope this help a little

Lou

I used to make videos for a church we attended. I had an older video camea that "looked" professional. It took great video, but some of the newer handheld models work much better. I put up the old camera for looks and used a newer handheld. I would use a video editor and turn the sound from the original off and the dub in the audio from another source. It's not that difficult to do. I agree that one of the key factors is using manual focus. From what I understand, the focus points are based on various contrast point the sensors "see." At night they don't have that reference point. Then add in flashing lights, that just complicates things. For good video at night a tripod is a must have.

I use a mp3 player with fm radio and what I do to help the overdub process is I hold one of the ear buds next to the camera's microphone so the first note of the song is real clear and easy to hear when doing the dubbing.

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, there's very few things that will drive people away from your videos faster than having the music and the lights out of sync. It fractures me to read people's comments that Utube somehow messed up the audio's synchronization when the video uploaded. Oh really? Translated that means: Sorry - I did a crappy job dubbing the music and don't care enough to go back and do it better.

• Like 1

I strap the Sony Walkman to the video camera and pipe in the sound. As other have mentioned this is just for reference to then replace that sound track with the original. Also the closer you can get the better. I have a very wide display and it's very hard.

Also shoot at dusk and down. Where I live there is about a 15 minutes window for each where the light is just right. Other than this the sky is either too light or black. I also avoid cloudy days and nights.

I use Sony Vegas to edit. It has the ability to mod the footage to crop, sharpen, lighten which can make things look "Slightly" better.

Other than this the better the camera the better and a manual focus ability is mandatory.

In a nut shell, filming for photography at night is the hardest thing there is to do.