Light-O-Rama Forums

Freaking Out a Little

T17443

For those of you that have run a show with incans for a few years what is your normal practice on replacing bulbs? This is year one for me and my show has been running nightly since 11/30. I have the "one bulb out rest stay lit" strings, but notices I had several half strings out. Long story short 8 hours and many many bulbs later all are back on and ready for the show tonight. If the majority of the lights were strung throughout three 40 foot maple trees I wouldn't be so alarmed. Is this type of bulb performance typical for what you all have seen?

uh, no. I've used mini's for years in static displays and have used them with LOR this year and a Mr. C. for two years with no issues. Having several sets or portions of strings out it might be another issue. One, are you replacing the bulbs with the correct lights as far a voltage/wattage, the wrong ones can cause issues. Two, if it's strung in a tree, the pulling and wiggling of tree branches in the wind can strain the wires and cause them to disconnect or break. That might be more of your issue than simple bulbs. From my experience, that is pulled wires. What do others think?

-RainyOregonChristmas

The shunts in the bulbs should keep the rest lit if a filament fails. That doesn't mean they always will but most times that's how it would work.

The fact that half the set is going out indicates to me that there's a continuity issue. I'd expect it's probably due to a bulb that has loosened or twisted and is no longer making contact - or one that got wet and froze and popped out just enough to lose contact. If you're going to be using incans, a Light Keeper Pro is a must. It can turn an eight hour ordeal to a 30 minute piece of cake.

Merry Christmas!

I think you hit on the issue. They are in trees and the majority of the problems have been broken bulbs, wires pulled out of sockets, and loose bulbs. We had a bad wind storm 2 days ago. I have a light keeper pro and you are right, they are a huge time saver. The time was getting to the lights. Climbing a 40 foot tree is a trick. Doing it with an extension pole, a light keeper, and not stepping on the 50 strings of lights wrapping the branches is a whole different challenge. Thanks for the insight, starting to feel better about the quality of the lights.

If you're going to be using incans, a Light Keeper Pro is a must.

Amen!! They are a bargain at twice the price.

I just got my hands on the LED Keeper but haven't used it yet. It doesn't look to be the golden nugget like the Pro is, but it still should help immensely.

I think I have about every tester out there. My best friend has to be the Black Buzz Box. When I try to test with all four colors zip tied it make trouble shooting with the light pro keeper rough.

Jeff