Light-O-Rama Forums

Sugar Plum Fairy

jtomason

An original 32-channel sequence. Performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Don Jackson (which, IMHO, is the best performance of the Nutcracker EVER...).

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-The-Nutcracker-Ballet-Suite/dp/B000001KFV

Comments from the LOR vets always gratefully accepted. This sequence was made in a few hours, so it is a tad bit rough around the edges in places.

I like it, i'm starting with 32 channels so its nice to see what i can do. how many channels did you have on the mega tree

Looks great! I'd like to see it in person, since I'm right across the bridges from you in Largo! Take a look at my display and let me know what you think.

I like it, i'm starting with 32 channels so its nice to see what i can do. how many channels did you have on the mega tree

The tree right now is 6 channels; the star, the skirt, and 4 strands that cross over the apex. Originally, it was going to be double the height and there would have been 8 strands going straight down, but it was a little too much of a pain in the butt to wrangle with the limited time I had. Next year!

Looks great! I'd like to see it in person, since I'm right across the bridges from you in Largo! Take a look at my display and let me know what you think.

Actually, I'm a tad closer - up near Oldsmar. I'll PM you.

The tree right now is 6 channels; the star, the skirt, and 4 strands that cross over the apex. Originally, it was going to be double the height and there would have been 8 strands going straight down, but it was a little too much of a pain in the butt to wrangle with the limited time I had. Next year!

Great song. Good job for such little time.

For what it is worth, my first megatree was a single color 6 channel tree (approx 15' tall). I found it was easy to make it look fuller, spin better, and look like a "real" mega-tree by using 3 strings (or at least 2) per segment/channel. They were still all equally spaced, but the first 3 were ch1, next 3 were ch2, etc. If you used fades well while spinning, it actually looked pretty decent (though my present 24ch mega with 16ch spiral overlay does look better). Here is a video from a few years ago if interested to compare.

Great song. Good job for such little time.

For what it is worth, my first megatree was a single color 6 channel tree (approx 15' tall). I found it was easy to make it look fuller, spin better, and look like a "real" mega-tree by using 3 strings (or at least 2) per segment/channel. They were still all equally spaced, but the first 3 were ch1, next 3 were ch2, etc. If you used fades well while spinning, it actually looked pretty decent (though my present 24ch mega with 16ch spiral overlay does look better). Here is a video from a few years ago if interested to compare. https://vimeo.com/8052473

Yours is more like what I had in mind, but it just didn't happen this year. :(

I'm going to order some stuff for next year to make it easier to support more strands, and I'm going to use C9 or C6 LEDs for more fill. The strings I am using now will go down to the skirt so that I have multiple, chaseable strings there. There's always that delta between what you want to do.... And what you CAN do.....

• The topic was locked