Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm confused

David Spangler

The question'"Where do I start" has probably been asked many times and here it is again. I finally have the time to do this, being retired, so do I jump in with both feet or go slow. I'm completely new to LOR.

1. Are the programming classes worth the money?

2. Do I buy 15 amp or 30 amp controller?

3. Home controller or Pro controller?

4. LED or RGB? (RGB seems expensive)

There are many more questions, but most will be answered with time, I just need a little direction to get started for next year.

Thank you

The question'"Where do I start" has probably been asked many times and here it is again. I finally have the time to do this, being retired, so do I jump in with both feet or go slow. I'm completely new to LOR.

1. Are the programming classes worth the money?

2. Do I buy 15 amp or 30 amp controller?

3. Home controller or Pro controller?

4. LED or RGB? (RGB seems expensive)

There are many more questions, but most will be answered with time, I just need a little direction to get started for next year.

Thank you

1.The classes are probally worth the money.I started out 3 years ago with 192 channels and no classes.Lots of people here to help you.I have helped a couple people learn to sequence over the phone.

2.I have all 15 amp controllers and i also only have 60 amp electrical service at my house.

3.I am 99 % led because of my electrical service.

Starting this early for next year is perfect.

Edited by wallleyes

Go slow.

Determine what your budget will be then multiply it by 2 or 3.

1. I didn't do the classes but the videos were extremely helpful.

2. Personal preference. I would tend to err on the side of caution so would go with the 30 amp. A lot of it will depend upon what lights you will be using. Get a Kill-A-Watt meter. They are your friend.

3. Personal preference again. The residential is cheaper though the professional has a couple more bells and whistles and a better box.

4. Did I mention personal preference? Not everyone likes LED though it is becoming the industry standard. I would go with LED but look for clearance sales (avoid Martha Stewart Christmas Lights) and pre-sales.

The good news is you have plenty of time to come up with a plan for a display and build towards it, be it making props or sequencing songs or animation.

Most importantly, welcome and have fun!

Plan your stage. What elements do you have/want? You might spend some time looking at display videos for ideas. How do you want the elements to split up for control? How many channels will that take? Here's a little tip; once you have a design stay with it for the year. You will only cause yourself grief by adding stuff late in the game.

Next, start with the software how to videos. Download the software and follow along. The program will be in demo mode until you purchase a license. Prepare yourself for some hours at the computer. Sequencing is not a quick affair.

Hardware wise, the residential equipment will probably do what you want. Your dollar will go farther using the PC series stuff. But there are cases where the pro stuff is the only solution. That's a call you have to decide on. Keep in mind that for every channel you will most likely need an extension cord, sometimes multiples depending on your layout. It all adds up, bit if spread out during the year it isn't too bad. That starts with a plan!

LED lights are expensive, and can be prone to problems with effects and short life spans. But you get get a heap of LEDs on a single circuit with room to spare. I'm about 50/50 this year between incans and LEDs. We'll go 100% LED next year. I used stuff I had on hand to keep costs lower and the boss happy! Read up on them; for instance many have had horrible luck with Martha Stewart LEDs.

You will want to select a song list, and get to work sequencing them. Pick songs you really like because you'll listen to them a gazillion times before you finish up a sequence. You will get faster as you learn your way, but it can be tedious.

And read, read, read. There's an immense amount of info right here on the forum. Don't forget to read the manual for the equipment you get, too!

Welcome to the hobby!

What they said...

Performance-wise there's absolutely no need to go with the Professional series. The residential models support all the exact same lighting effects. I've got 50+ LOR controllers and none of them are the professional models, and they all seem to do a most excellent job.

i was new to LOR this year.... started sequencing in June... that is what takes the most time. I have residential boxes, 3 of them. I think our house service is 150 but we have dedicated recepticals and outlets for them just to be sure we don't pop anything. We have both incandecents and LEDS. Like it was said, read read read... I did, watched the videos and played with it. EVERYONE is great on here to help with questions, sharing ideas and even sequences. then read read read some more. I read the Martha Stewart lights don't fade right. I bought mine at home depot, lowes, big lots, ebay, craigslist...hard to find lights in August! Hobby??? he lied. it's an addiction. gunna buy 5 more controllers for next year.... starting my ideas already. zip cord...lots and lots of that... I have 2500 feet of extension cords... vampire clips save soooooo much time. Husband loves them. if you are going to jump in... then go to the deep end! if your budget allows...cuz the children's faces...and the ooohhhsss and ahhhssss are worth more than you will spend! oh, and the big kids faces are awesome too.

Plan carefully what you want to do. Decide what bulb styles you like, 5mm, M5, C3, C6, C7, C9, led or incads and RGB. RGB can be a bit more complicated to deal with the first year. Here's something to really think about, if you think you want to get into RGB at some point, DON'T buy local lights. Local big box store lights are 1/2 wave leds, they pale in comparrison to the RGB leds. All three favorite online vendors have their pre-sales going on NOW. These are sealed full wave leds and are very bright and are supposed to last longer than the cheap store brands.

Do searches on SPT wire, snubbers, 1/2 wave and fullwave leds, vampires, RGB smart and dumb ribbons, E1.31 just to name a few to get a head start on next year.

Welcome to the addiction! :D

Almost all of us use a FM Transmitter. Do not get the Whole House Transmitter. Most use either a EDM Transmitter or one on Ebay. I have not been interested in the Ebay one so I will let others tell you about that one.

With being a first time poster newbie, I am going to suggest you ask for reviews of something before you buy it. BTW go into the "Coffee Shop" (I think that is the title) section of this forum. Several of the better known vendors hang out in there and right now they are all running sales on LEDs and other lights. So, right now is the time to get your orders in for cheaper sale prices. Also you can download the LOR sequencing software for free and run it in demo mode. Start to get to know the software. Then buy the lic. for the software later. In Demo it does almost everything the Lic version. But will not actually be able to control a controller and run lights. Just a point, the sales end for different vendors at different dates. I think I heard someone say that one closes 8 Jan.?

I think I heard someone say that one closes 8 Jan.?

As far as I know that is correct. That would be MITS. But others run until about the end of Jan, so there's no need to panic.

Of the online light vendors that people are referring to, MITS and HLE have by far the lowest pre-season sale prices. As far as I know, there is no significant difference in quality between any of the vendors who are advertising pre-season sales. In fact, some sell the exact same product.

Try to win the lottery because this hobby ain't cheap. Well worth every penny, but not cheap.

There's not a hobby out there that is "cheap". Went to play a round of golf (okay, I hit balls into the tall grass) with a friend last month and for what a round for both of us cost at that course I could have had a controller. And been much happier!

Somebody above mentioned the kids amazement at these shows... All of the work, expense and effort is so worth it when you see a little one's face light up with excitement.

I've been lurking for some time. Just wanted to say this thread is awesome keep the tips coming !!!

Run while you still can!!!!!!!!!! Just kiding.

Welcome to the maddness!