Light-O-Rama Forums

Extra LOR configuration

Guest guest

I was wondering if anyone has utilized LOR in such a fashion to create two 'identical shows, but for different parts of the display.

I was thinking of using one of the 16 Lor channels as an On/Off Trigger. I would then wire the other 15 channels to some sort of splitter A/B Switch. The 1 control channel would be wired to all 15 A/B's. This would allow my to reuse 15 channels for two different displays. Simply toggling the 1st channel would select which display is being used.

Main reason for this would be to conserver power and yes, I know I could just buy a 2nd 16 channel LOR board and sequence it that way, but I was wondering if anyone has done as I have explained?

I guess it would work with a bunch of double throw relays, but by the time you bought that many relays, plugs, and extension cords, you'll probably spend nearly as much as a second controller.

This has actually been discussed before and the solution was to use 1 relay and switch the neutrals to the 2 different loads since the neutrals are all tied common.
Then attach both "line" or hot leads to each channel.
The relay would have to be rated for the total load current of each (display).
(maybe use x10 to switch neutrals so you can keep all 16 channels?)
Just remember the lights will still be "live" even when not lit when changing bulbs etc.

Hope this helps!:}