Light-O-Rama Forums

Winds in Austin,Texas!

rodman1369

My Monster Quartet (modified for Christmas) is down on it's faces...My display is down until this lets up!

Got me a new weather station with wind speed...

Hit the Min/Max indicator and it shows it registered 53.5mph earlier!

Can hear the wind buffeting on the house...wife asked if it was Thunder?!

We've had to same problems here. We're thinking about just leaving what's been blown over like it is until the winds subside rather than taking the chance of them getting blown over again and possibly getting broken the next time the wind blows them over. As strong as the winds have been at times I'm just thankful that the whole display isn't over on the next block right now!

Wonderful Texas Weather.

I was almost positive I was going to wake up to a crash of my Mega Tree through the roof. After getting up serveral times throughout the night to check on it. It's still standing. Watching that pole move and the lights trying to rip off about made me crap my pants.

A big thanks to Christmaslightshow.com for the mega tree parts that with stood 50mph winds for atleast 7hrs.

My poor neighbor was not so lucky about 10pm a tree limb took a chunk out of his house and went through his back bedroom window. I happen to be outside checking on the display when I heard the giant cracking noise.

Hope everyone survived. I'm kind of worried about the guy in prosper with the arch that goes over his houes. don't recall his name.

Big wind here too. Worried all night about a 20 ft mega tree. But, I also went with christmaslightshow.com and it stood solid.

Meanwhile, had a couple mini-trees damaged, 8 plastic presents are done for, and my tune to sign tore and the two t-posts it was mounted to bent almost to the ground.

I may not run tonight either, depending on wind and repairs.

I was out shopping when it suddenly hit us by surprise yesterday. One of the Walmart stores lost electricity and had to close. There were over 1,000 people who lost power due to downed power lines in a neighboring town 45 miles away. There was a bad accident a few miles away on I-27 involving multiple car pile ups with one fatality due to blowing dust and low to zero visibility. One of the local hospitals set up a mobile triage unit on site and I-27 had to be shut down for a while to north and southbound traffic. We're pretty used to dust storms around here but the lack of rain this year has made them worse than they usually are. I'm just thankful the damage we sustained was confined to the display. I hope your neighbors are ok.

post-3812-0-64163300-1356015368_thumb.jp

post-3812-0-52397200-1356015391_thumb.jp

All my stuff is still standing. I built it all myself (about 50 bucks) lol. We had 45mph sustained with gusts over 60 here north of dallas. My 25ft tall tree is still up, along with my 11ft RGB tree. The 8ft star on the roof is still up too! I wasnt sure if they could handle that sustained wind..... but they did!

• Like 1

• The topic was locked