Light-O-Rama Forums

OMG- Did I just spend 2 hours on 1 minute of sequencing?!?!?

lowepg

welcome to the group, it will get easier,even with more channels I think sequencing is faster with more channels

If you think paste by time is slick, you're gonna go ape$hit over "Stretch to Fit". That allows you to take a particular effect and shrink or expand it to fit into whatever time frame you're working with.

If you do a lot of cutting and pasting, or if you just want an easier way, re-map your keyboard. I've taken keys whose commands I don't use and have assigned one button each for cut and paste. No more split-finger keyboard salute, and no more drop-down boxes. Select your range, push a button. Move your cursor, push a button. Done.

And Tim's totally correct. Once you wean yourself from fixed timing grids, there's a whole new world waiting for you out there... an easier world, filled with quicker, better sequencing.

Genius. Thanks for the tip.

Well, I have 2 teenage girls that have been pushing me to do this.... and are pretty music & tech savvy... Id like to figure out a way to enlist their help

If this is your entry to the JimSwinder Academy of Self-Answering Questions - CONGRATULATIONS - You've been accepted!

I couldn't help but chuckle - I took one look at what you'd written and the answer is right there in your own words.

2 musically-inclined tech-savvy girls pushing you to synchronize lights to music? Seems to me we've got a deal waiting to be made with just those ingredients. Why not let them use the demo software to show you they'd be good partners were you to say: "okay - let's do this."

Sounds like I have some reading to do too. Never got around to playing with the beat wizard and have no idea what paste multiple does, but I'll learn. I should have more time this year to work with the software, I hope.

OMG Beat wizard is the bomb!! that and someone told me about using the space bar to stop and start the playing so I didn't have to keep using the menu bar and clicking...of course they told me that AFTER I had finished the 200 some hours of sequencing!

If you think paste by time is slick, you're gonna go ape$hit over "Stretch to Fit". That allows you to take a particular effect and shrink or expand it to fit into whatever time frame you're working with.

If you do a lot of cutting and pasting, or if you just want an easier way, re-map your keyboard. I've taken keys whose commands I don't use and have assigned one button each for cut and paste. No more split-finger keyboard salute, and no more drop-down boxes. Select your range, push a button. Move your cursor, push a button. Done.

And Tim's totally correct. Once you wean yourself from fixed timing grids, there's a whole new world waiting for you out there... an easier world, filled with quicker, better sequencing.

shrink to fit?? expand to fit?? I could have used that one too!! I believe LOR needs classes to start in like May instead of October. I think alot of people are deep into their sequencing by then... earlier classes...can I see a show of hands?

I use more of the "Wave Form" myself rather than the "Beat Wizard". Select row (s), copy & then past is a big help for me as well. The space bar is a good friend. The list goes on. This coming New Year I need to get the Superstar sequencer figured out & then that will free up 5 controllers from the matrix to put elsewhere & the ccr's will make up the matrix.

I am one that cannot stay focused on training video even though I will need to. However if there is a book on "Sequencing ccr's, or ccb's For Dummies" using "SuperStar" & illustrated then I would buy it. lol

another "secret" to add a template to work with is if your a licensed Superstar Editor user, even if it is for 2 to 24 CCR's you can set your audio "timing" to absolute, export to your LOR SE and copy and paste a single ribbon to a new sequence and fine tune that, just delete the fat from that and, go back to SSE and recreate a new sequence using the same song changing the timing to Volume Relative and copy the results to LOR SE and fine tune that, I have done that a few times when i needed to do a sequence in a hurry. but I have found that I have spent more time fine tuning a sequence than if I just started a new, but for the new people this can create a more detailed "beat wizard"

Edited by PMC

OMG Beat wizard is the bomb!! that and someone told me about using the space bar to stop and start the playing so I didn't have to keep using the menu bar and clicking...of course they told me that AFTER I had finished the 200 some hours of sequencing!

Actually, there's a pinned thread (in the Newbies section) that addresses those and many more tips and tricks.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/13818-sequencing-tips-tricks-and-secrets/

Also, Gigogig has organized some free on-line classes that have dealt with sequencing. Check in during the year to keep up with what he might be offering.