Light-O-Rama Forums

Noobie, just looking for some advice 2013

dan24438

I've never done anything like this before and just looking for some advice and direction. After doing my research i've decided to go with the light o rama controllers (hence i'm on this forum).

I have yet to purchase anything (besides the lights i already have) but this is what i'm looking at so far.

PRO Series 16 Channel Starter Package

PRO Series Addon LOR1602Wg3

Whole House FM Transmitter

I've done alittle reading and it seems like the cost difference between the PRO Series and the residential is well worth the money. On top of that id like to beable to purchase something that is going to last me awhile. I am also going to upgrade the software lic to advanced so in the future i don't have to worry about this either. Always taught if your going to do something do it right the first time.

So first question

1. As a beginer i do not want to get so over whelemed i don't enjoy setting up the display, and learning how to sequence songs. So keeping this in mind is 32 channels a good starting point?

2. I've seen a couple of people saying LOR has times when they put equipment on sale/clearance. Any ideas when this would be?

3. The lights i do have i bought at wal-mart, and i've read its just better to purchase the higher quality lights to start off with so i'm not replacing them the following year. Where is a good place to purchase a high volume of LED lights?

4. I've just started doing research on the RBG LED Lights, as i'm just setting up a display is it worth it to just build it around this style of light?

Any suggestions, or comments are always welcome.

1. 32 is a good starting point in my opinion.

2. 2 sales a year , the "secret sale", that lasts about 15 minutes and the summer sale.

3 and 4, don't know

I just wonder why you want to get the Pro series controllers, the PC series work just fine, I've had mine for 4 years now.

DO NOT GET the Whole house transmitter, you will be sorry you did, look at the EDM

SHFR26 is dead on with skipping the Pro unit as well the Whole House Transmitter.

1) The regular PC series work great, weather resistant, and have the same features, they can handle the same power with the larger heatsinks as well.

2) The sales are quick and then you wait to get them. GIve it a few months they will start to rumor about, then you buy them used from people who wont use them anymore. Dont wait till its too late and hope they come in time. You want time to play with these over the summer.

3) The lights, theres no way to know unless you post the name of them, or hook them up. I bought 40 packages at Lowes last year and didnt have any issues with dimming, flickering, or anything else. Some dont get so lucky.

4) RGB is a new animal to most of us. My display is 100% pixel. Next year I will be 80% pixel and 20% LED strings from the PC controllers. The RGB adds not more difficulty but adds a ton of time sequencing. I want from 5-6 hours per minute to dozens of hours per minute and I know Im my worst critic. Im dissapointed in the outcome of myself. No one else tells me that but I see it. Im happy with them being all RGB lots of colors and effects but its just too many options.

Start NOW for next year. I already have my new setup on my PC, and the next few months will be gathering up the supplys.

"1. As a beginer i do not want to get so over whelemed i don't enjoy setting up the display, and learning how to sequence songs. So keeping this in mind is 32 channels a good starting point?"

I think after you see how great the display will look and the reactions you get you'll instantly fall in love ;)

32 Channels is a good start, even though I only started with 16

I cant answer 2 & 3 cause I'm a newbie too, bit as far as number 4 that's your personal preference... in my opinion Its much more difficult and requires more patience in sequencing so I'm not sure its gonna be the best for you, on the other hand if you like a challenge then definitely go for it.

Edited by Arteom

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll have to look into that EDM. Thank you for the heads up on the FM transmitter.

Start NOW for next year. I already have my new setup on my PC, and the next few months will be gathering up the supplys.

Yeah from what i've read now is the time to start planning for my 2013 show. I'm really excited about it. Just from the few people who have chimed in, i think i'll stay away from the RBG leds for now and just work with the normal led's.

I found the CDI thread, are they a decent place to get lights?

Another question i have.

1. Is there a way to cut string of lights so it will actually end where i want it to? Right now i just double it back the excess. (just cut the excess off and cap it some how)

Another question i have.

1. Is there a way to cut string of lights so it will actually end where i want it to? Right now i just double it back the excess. (just cut the excess off and cap it some how)

You can cut the lights at the intervals where there are two wires instead of three... usually every 50 lights. You know when you take out a light and a section goes out, you can cut in between those sections.

I'm not sure if this will work with LED's.

Old fashion SPT1 Wire, C9/ C7 Strings can be cut anywhere.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll have to look into that EDM. Thank you for the heads up on the FM transmitter.

Yeah from what i've read now is the time to start planning for my 2013 show. I'm really excited about it. Just from the few people who have chimed in, i think i'll stay away from the RBG leds for now and just work with the normal led's.

I found the CDI thread, are they a decent place to get lights?

Another question i have.

CDI is a great place to get lights. Good quality, much better than you can get in the stores, they have great customer service, and they stand behind what they sell.

You might want to check into SPT and vampire plugs, much cheaper than buying extension cords. I think CDI calls the vampire plugs - attach-on plugs. There are two kinds (that I know of) in SPT, SPT-1 and SPT-2. The difference is the thickness of the insulation. If you buy SPT-1 wire, you will want to make sure you have vampire plugs for SPT-1, etc...

Jerry

Edited by LORisAwesome

I find that 16 channels is enough to get a whole lot done. I often think, and even lay out, my yard as though I had an orchestra. A 16-piece band is a BIG band. But that doesn't mean you only need 1 controller!

I always have a spare. And you may find that it's worth putting controllers next to the lights instead of running extension cords all over the place. Also, I rarely use all 16 channels in a 16 channel controller. So, for 16 channels you may even want 3 controllers. Two because of possible placement reasons, one for a spare.

As for cutting light strings, I usually find it problematic. Cutting a string in half or in to thirds is not usually what I need. So I try to create designs that use whole strings. I try to buy strings that are the length my design requires. Some types of lighting can indeed be cut to smaller lengths but it won't be your LED strings or mini incandescent strings. When it comes to bulbs, more is usually better. Don't cut them off, find a way to use them. Wrap it tighter, etc.

I also don't think RGB is for the typical first year user.

I've never done anything like this before and just looking for some advice and direction. After doing my research i've decided to go with the light o rama controllers (hence i'm on this forum).

I have yet to purchase anything (besides the lights i already have) but this is what i'm looking at so far.

PRO Series 16 Channel Starter Package

PRO Series Addon LOR1602Wg3

Whole House FM Transmitter

I've done alittle reading and it seems like the cost difference between the PRO Series and the residential is well worth the money. On top of that id like to beable to purchase something that is going to last me awhile. I am also going to upgrade the software lic to advanced so in the future i don't have to worry about this either. Always taught if your going to do something do it right the first time.

So first question

1. As a beginer i do not want to get so over whelemed i don't enjoy setting up the display, and learning how to sequence songs. So keeping this in mind is 32 channels a good starting point?

2. I've seen a couple of people saying LOR has times when they put equipment on sale/clearance. Any ideas when this would be?

3. The lights i do have i bought at wal-mart, and i've read its just better to purchase the higher quality lights to start off with so i'm not replacing them the following year. Where is a good place to purchase a high volume of LED lights?

4. I've just started doing research on the RBG LED Lights, as i'm just setting up a display is it worth it to just build it around this style of light?

Any suggestions, or comments are always welcome.

1. I started with 32 this year and was glad I did. I kept 16 on the house and 16 on other stuff and it gave me some channels to "play" with and learn as I went.

2. Im waiting for this as well.

3. Only advice here...don't bite off piece meal if you can help it. Some colors differ and some strands don't work as well. IE. I bought Martha Stuart LED on sale and they don't dim. I personally have shifted to online wholesale commercial. I can get the exact amount I need and the lengths match up.

4. RGB is harder. Maybe pick an RGB item to begin with? I dunno. Somewhat a budget/time question. I am going to begin dabbling RGB/CCR this year...for 2013.