Light-O-Rama Forums

Little Drummer Boy

Gilrock

I just started last year with one 16 channel controller. This year I upgraded to 3 16 channel controllers and 5 CCR ribbons. I used 4 of the ribbons to make 8 arches and just a few days ago I couldn't take the last ribbon sitting idle so I made a circle. The circle seems to be a big hit with the kids. My wife loves this version of Little Drummer Boy and asked me to sequence it this year. I tried to tone down some of the flashing for this one since my other songs can leave you dizzy. I'm also taking drum lessons this year and play in church so it was really cool sequencing this song. I especially liked the drum solo section in the middle and at the end. The colors look so much better in person...I can't believe how bright those ribbons are. It been fun to go outside and find kids dancing in the driveway. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,

Gil

Looks good!

You're right about the CCRs being so bright - hard to video them well.

You're going to like working with the circle - there's so many things you can do with it.

Songs that leave people dizzy aren't going to build your following very much. From what I see, as your channel count grows, I believe you'll find many pleasing alternatives to just "flashing".

Merry Christmas!

Looks good!

You're right about the CCRs being so bright - hard to video them well.

You're going to like working with the circle - there's so many things you can do with it.

Songs that leave people dizzy aren't going to build your following very much. From what I see, as your channel count grows, I believe you'll find many pleasing alternatives to just "flashing".

Merry Christmas!

Thanks George. Yeah I haven't had any viewers complain about flashing. It was more of my own observation. By the way I spent a lot of time looking at your videos a few days ago. My son fell in love with Carol of the Cactus and he made me purchase the song so he could start sequencing it. He gave me back the Jingle Bells file he had been slowly working on. He was like "Dad just give me the audio file and I'll listen to it several times and watch that video a few times and then I'll tell you where you need to slice the audio." Sure enough 20 minutes later he comes back and tells me where to do the trims. I'm in awe of you guys doing 600+ channels.

The new items I added this year were the 10' mega tree, 2 more colors to the bushes, the upper roofline, 5 mini trees, the 5 CCR's, and last years arch became a firestick. After adding in the new elements to the 3 songs I had for last year it seemed like so much more flashing going on. My goal is to make the viewer know that the light is sequenced to the music on purpose. There are some people that think you can buy a box that automatically analyzes the music and flashes the lights in real time. I got some pretty good feedback from one person who told me that his neighbor also had automated lights and that his neighbor had a lot more lights than I did but for some reason he thought mine looked better coordinated with the music. That's exactly what I was going for. I don't have a big yard to work with unless I can expand into the neighbor's yard next year.

This was the very first song I sequenced last year...now it's been updated to include the new elements in the yard:

Thanks,

Gil

• The topic was locked