Light-O-Rama Forums

Good Rope-lights?

JF1993

I tend to buy a lot of the leftover Menards Christmas decorations, but I have a question about their rope lights. Does anyone know if they you can cut them into sections? I know many rope lights are marked where it's safe to cut, but I've also read that you can cut through any rope light. I know they sell spools of 150' incandescent rope lights, and the Menards by me have a lot of those left. They arn't a bad price either. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. http://www.menards.com/main/christmas/lights/13mm-150-rope-light-clear/p-1852027-c-12284.htm

To the best of my knowledge, all rope lights can be cut. But the distance between SAFE cutting locations vary. This is true for both LED and incan ropes. Now some are better marked than others. And white marks on a clear or white robe is a real pain to find.

I don't believe the Menards rope is marked for cutting, but like you said, it can still be done. I've switched to LED rope (from Paul/CDI, although he's not going to carry it much longer) and love the look/power usage much better than Incan...

I'm almost wondering if it would just be easier to buy multiple smaller sets of rope lights then one spool of it. I really wanted to do LED rope lighting, because everything else in my show already is. Right now I'm checking around places like Menard's, Home Depot, and Lowes to see what kind of LED rope lights they might have in stock still.

I don't believe the Menards rope is marked for cutting, but like you said, it can still be done. I've switched to LED rope (from Paul/CDI, although he's not going to carry it much longer) and love the look/power usage much better than Incan...

Tim, where did you hear this from? I know that he had trouble with the first years run. Is he having trouble with the 2nd years run too?

I use the 3/8 rope lighting (incan) from the household light dept at Menards. 48 feet for 20 bucks. Its is not marked, but if you look really close you can see a break in the wiring pattern every 24 bulbs. That's where to cut. Ive used hundreds of feet.

The stuff they sell on the spool in the Christmas dept is cut every 36 bulbs. (too long for my needs)

tj

Edited by tjflory
  • Like 1