Light-O-Rama Forums

What can we do to honor the kids that were killed today?

EvilM0nkey

If you somehow haven't seen: http://www.nbcconnec...-183498401.html

Most of us build our shows to see the smiles on kids faces.

What can we do to honor them with what we already have set up?

I was thinking an 18 hour light show, but most people probably wouldn't get it.

One friend suggested to collect donations for a charity that wil be working in that area. I think that may be the awnser.

What do you think? What are you going to do?

Edited by EvilM0nkey

I'm sort of torn between not running my show tonight because of the solemn event but also thinking that these were mostly little kids and Christmas is for them. I'm not sure what we can do.

For starters, we'll be running our show tonight. I've hard from some that will be running a limited or no show tonight. But I think now, more than ever, people need holiday spirit. I don't want to disappoint kids (and adults too) further by having them show up to a dark house.

I like the idea of collecting money for the families. If you already take donations, maybe dedicate tonight and tomorrow nights donations to a charity or fund that will likely be set up for the families?

The best thing to do is for parents to spend time with their kids and enjoy/cherish every moment. A nice light display is a good opportunity for a family to spend time together.

The best thing to do is for parents to spend time with their kids and enjoy/cherish every moment. A nice light display is a good opportunity for a family to spend time together.

Just learned about what happened 2 minutes ago here... I like this train of thought and will definitely continue on with the show. Nothing like crazy Christmas lights to put people in their happy place(if not only for a bit).

What about doing something next weekend? This will give us time to get the word out and do some preparation for it. I'm not setup to take donations, but will think about it.

On my facebook wall there is a post from a fellow lighting enthusiast that says it best in my opinion..........

Hedtke Holiday Spectacular

"Our prayers go out today to those affected by the shooting in Connecticut. When you get home from school or work. Make sure you hug your loved ones. Make sure you tell them that you love them.

Some of our friends in the decorating hobby are darkening their lights tonight in response to the tragedy. Others fell that tonight, more than ever, people need something to make them feel the love and joy

of the Christmas season. We fall into that second category, and will still be running tonight.

If you're going out tonight looking at Christmas lights, make it a family event, and spend some time with your loved ones. If today's events put you out of the mood for festive activities, that's completely understandable too.

Remember, tomorrow is never promised. We live day by day."

I'm not going to mention anything about what happened. That's for parents and children to talk about on their own time... I don't want to be the catalyst for that conversation.

Maybe I'll sequence a taps song with a 21 gun solute or something... whatta crappy thing to happen. :(

maybe a single animated gif of a candle. i am thinking of putting it up at the beginning of my show and then running the show as normal. I dont want to interfere with the discussion parents are having tonight. I have twin 11yo's in 6th grade.

One asked "Why do people hate us, what did we do?".

CAn anyone Help me Sequence - Testify to Love - in dedication to the CT Victims im working with 32 channel's and well its 3:08 minutes long and im trying to get it done quickly and well im not that fast

I'm going to be running a brief announcement followed by moment of silence and darkness dedicated to the lives that were lost.

I'll run it occasionally throughout the evening the next few days - maybe right up to and including Christmas.

I like the idea of choosing one night to collect donations for the families. I'm going to do it next Friday which should be one of the busiest nights of the season. It would be real cool if every one of us across the country did the same thing on the same day. That would make for a powerful message that Kevin could whip an announcement for.

Please someone from that area advise me/us of the best local charity or fund to send the donations to.

God bless them all...

My Dedication to the 26 Angels from CT. The Children and Adults we have all lost are now looking down upon us and i as a decorator want to honor them by giving them bright Lights to look at as they look down upon us. I shed my Tears and pray for all those involved and give my most heart Felt Condolences

Edited by Lights_on_light_st_ct

For those that fly a US flag at your house:

Presidential Proclamation -- Honoring the Victims of the Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut

HONORING THE VICTIMS OF THE TRAGEDY IN NEWTOWN, CONNECTICUT

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on December 14, 2012, in Newtown, Connecticut, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, December 18, 2012. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourteenth day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA

I think George has the right idea. Lets all plan on next Friday for a donation night to all those involved. Have someone from that area tell us who to send the donations to and just do it. If Kevin could whip up a voice over stating something like "we will be collecting donations on 12/21/12 for the victims, or something like that. I wonder if we could get all the donations together and send them all at once. Just my opinion, but I think we could make it work. Any thoughts?

On my facebook wall there is a post from a fellow lighting enthusiast that says it best in my opinion..........

Hedtke Holiday Spectacular

"Our prayers go out today to those affected by the shooting in Connecticut. When you get home from school or work. Make sure you hug your loved ones. Make sure you tell them that you love them.

Some of our friends in the decorating hobby are darkening their lights tonight in response to the tragedy. Others fell that tonight, more than ever, people need something to make them feel the love and joy

of the Christmas season. We fall into that second category, and will still be running tonight.

If you're going out tonight looking at Christmas lights, make it a family event, and spend some time with your loved ones. If today's events put you out of the mood for festive activities, that's completely understandable too.

Remember, tomorrow is never promised. We live day by day."

Harrison I can Honestly say I copied that from yet another light enthusiast, So i cant take credit for it. It was just well said. And Sorry to the originator I cant remember who I copied it from. And now everyone has copied it so its hard to tell. But whoever it was I thank them.

I think we should all continue running our shows for a great family time.

And dont forget to hug your loved ones every day, sadly you never know if it will be the last time you get. Its sad that we all have to worry about losing our loved ones due to some unforseen circumstance.

We are in for Friday the 21st as well. We dont get alot of traffic but every little bit helps.

Scubado- I know you dont usually take donations but a cheap way to put up a donation box is a sawhorse and a plastic mailbox with a slot cut into it. We have been using this for the past 3 years.

The more we get to join in on Friday Dec 21st dedication to the Angels we lost the better. :)