Light-O-Rama Forums

cosmic colored ribbon alternatives

USCS31

hello everyone and may you all have a nice holiday! i have been hooking my house up for the past few years with only 32 channels. i had purchased an additional 16 channels this summer bringing me up to 48 channels! little by little i'd like to increase my channels. this holiday season i only used 40 channels out of the 48 due to time. i started to look into rgb lighting. i'm not familiar with but i'd like to learn how to hook it all up (things like that interest me)! i was just curious if there are alternatives to the cosmic colored ribbon, such as a DIY. I was just curiously surfing the web and found rgb ribbon from china (where everything else is made in our days...probably even the CCR) and was wondering if that could be hooked up properly to LOR units? If anyone knows any alternative(s) to CCR's and knows a website or two, could you please help me/us out in regards to exploring a new avenue? any help or knowledge with RGB items, more ribbon(s) would be great! thanks and have a great holiday!

Yes there are alternative to the CCR.

for the alternative you will need.

You will need an e1.31 controller (check out that sub forum)

(either a J1SYSor E682)

Here is Fast Eddy's Intro to RGB

the RGB Smart Strips, power supplies and cables can be purchased here

Ray Wu Store

However if you are looking for "dumb" RGB

you can use LOR's DC board, with a power supply, and some dumb RGB strips.

Edited by Crazydave
  • Like 2

in regards to this, could i purchase, lets say christmas "lightshow" lights from h.d. and manipulate the wiring to work on LOR? i see some houses have them and they have multiple colors on the string but they run on their own?

The GE Color Effects, yes. I'm using some this year with a e682 from sandevices. I think the "lightshow" brand has not been able to be used.

The lights that can be controlled on a single bulb/led ratio are called pixels. Each pixel has its own electronic chip to get a data signal and decide whether it should be on or off and what color it should display. Different manufacturers use different chip technologies.

The pixel controllers (like e682) only work with certain chipsets. You will need to make sure the pixels you are looking at can be controlled before investing a lot of money in them.

• Like 1

ok, so i have been doing research everyday thus far since writing this up and have been interested in LED RGB Ribbon Lighting the more I see it! Wife is going to kill me by next holiday season, it was nice chatting with you all while it lasts.....lol!!!!! I'm not good with electricity, and the calculations (me and electricity are like drinking and driving..... we don't mix!). I have been checking out these rgb le ribbon lights and these are the calculations:

Color: RGB (Red Green Blue) Flash SMD LED

View angle: 120°

Working voltage: DC 12V

LED quantity: 60LED/m, 300 LEDs

Output power: 45W

Lumens: 900LM

Lifetime: 50,000+ hours

Size: W10*H2mm

Superbright 5050 SMD RGB LED, high intensity and reliability

Waterproof flexible LED strip (IP68 Waterproof level)

60 SMD RGB LEDs per meter, total 300 LEDs for 5 meters

Maintenance free, easy intallation

Every 3-LED cutable without damaging the rest strip

Flexible ribbon for curving around bends

Ultra-bright but running at low temperature

If my house is running off of 220 at the breaker and I own three LOR commercial controllers (16 channels ea.), how many of these LED RGB Ribbon Lights can I hook up with just three LOR units and what would be the MAX with lets say 10 LOR controller per say? I'm lost with all thisand greatly appreciate your help! just trying to get an idea as to the number of strips I would be able to get without popping the breaker! thanks again!

Ok, you aren't quite there yet...

These run on 12 volts of DC current. You can't just hook these up to your AC LOR controllers. LOR sells a DC controller, but, honestly, I can't speak to it because I've never used it.

You need to know that there is a difference between RGB "dumb" strings and RGB "smart" pixels. It looks like what you are referencing is a dumb string. What that means is this: You can connect 12v DC current to each color to make it turn on (i.e., red, blue, green). BUT, it will light up the entire string (or, whatever section you have cut it at). You can't manipulate each individual pixel. That may be fine... dumb strings are useful for things such as mini-trees, maybe window outlines, etc.

I would think the LOR DC controller would be a good fit for that purpose (someone with more knowledge will have to help).

I personally use a Ren48LSD to control my led spotlights, which work the same way. (Available from Do it yourself Christmas.)

But, if you are thinking, like, RGB arch, or using it like a CCR Ribbon, you need smart pixels. Those are individually controlled by a board, such as the e682 available from sandevices.

Thanks...I have beem really looking into RGP pixels.

Soooo. Applications question.

Lets say I want to wrap my windows and roof line and want to change colors on one string without wrapping lets say 3 diff colors. I could one string of smart pixels or CCR? CCR being the higher cost option?

That is my leap next year I am considering but the technical leap surpasses my knowledge. And I don't want to make a bonehead decision.

Thanks...I have beem really looking into RGP pixels.

Soooo. Applications question.

Lets say I want to wrap my windows and roof line and want to change colors on one string without wrapping lets say 3 diff colors. I could one string of smart pixels or CCR? CCR being the higher cost option?

That is my leap next year I am considering but the technical leap surpasses my knowledge. And I don't want to make a bonehead decision.

I'm not sure I understand.

CCR will change to whatever color you want. But it also allows you to change colors all along its length.

So, your window example, using CCR's (or other pixel strings), you could make each side a different color, have it chase one color to another all the way around the frame, etc.

If you just want to be able to change window colors with one strand, but don't need to change each pixel, get a dumb strand, like what was previously mentioned in this thread.

You are traveling down a path that many have already taken; they have written about their successes and failures in this here forum and on Youtube.

The LOR DC controller is an excellent choice for the "dumb" strips and the CCR is an excellent choice for more exotic lighting.

Yes, it's pricey, but LOR stands behind every one and they have made it into a plug-and-play addition to your show.

Treading in the waters of the do-it-yourselfer takes a bit more homework; watch the videos on www.holidaycoro.com and other websites for help on the RGB world.

I'm not sure I understand.

CCR will change to whatever color you want. But it also allows you to change colors all along its length.

So, your window example, using CCR's (or other pixel strings), you could make each side a different color, have it chase one color to another all the way around the frame, etc.

If you just want to be able to change window colors with one strand, but don't need to change each pixel, get a dumb strand, like what was previously mentioned in this thread.

Ok this was what I was asking. I have really read up a lot on CCR/Pixels. I am still struggling to get my head around the controller needs and the sequencing impact. I think for windows and roofline I probably can use "dumb pixels". I just want single color transitions.

I may dabble with CCR on a 6 strand tree. So for 2013 I'd stay pretty much where Im at except I would shift to pixels on windows/roofline....than play with the CCR in a tree type application.

Too much? Im pretty committed....but not capable of of soldering and that sort of thing.

Thanks by the way guys.

My suggestion would be the following. Buy a LOR dc controller along with a 12 vdc power supply a small supply at first say around 5 amps. Also you can purchase a 1 meter string of 5050 rgb led strip on ebay for around $7. Play with that setup first and all kinds of ideas will come to mind. Also there are different kinds of "dumb" rgb strips. Some have color mixing (usually the 5050 type) and there are separate colors on the strip (usually 3528). I would get a 1 meter strip of each and see how they work. You won't spend a bunch of money to see just what each strip will do and you will get to know what each strip will do and how to program them.

Have Fun