Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Dimming Multiple Strings

derekb

I have 4 strings of LED lights (http://store.christmasdesigners.com/3-Piece-Pro-Series-M5-Mini-Lights-Warm-White.html) per small bush. When each bush is plug in directly to a channel in lightorama all is fine. When I connect all the strings together (30 strings) they no longer dim, they just turn on and off. I have also tried it with just 2 bushes and get the same results. I am connecting the bushes with extension cords that are brand new. Any help appreciated. Thanks very much.

I haven't experienced this but if you do a search for "snubbers" in the forum you will see mention of a capacitive buildup when chaining LED strings together so you need to add a load like a C9 or ICAN string at the end of the chain. What I did on my bushes was I built my own extension cord that ran down all the bushes and I added a female plug inline at each bush. That way each bush is powered in parallel with all the other bushes instead of chaining them all in series.

Yes you definiately need a snubber. I have run 10-20 LED strings on one channel with a snubber and has worked for the last 5 years.

Thanks guys. I read the forums, most of the advice was that a snubber was not needed for the new LOR boxes, so I thought I was going in the wrong directioln with my issue. But I will get one right away and see if it fixes. I reall appreciate it.

This is why I only use no more than 3 strands of LED's on a channel. But I'm using 1 V1 and 4 V2 controllers, no GEN3 which have the snubber circuitry built in, so I think this is more of too many LED strands linked together as opposed to a snubber. But hopefully an additional snubber may work to resolve the issue. But for some reason and my experience with LED strands, I still think it's too many stands connected to each other. But just my little ol' opinion.