Light-O-Rama Forums

My First Christmas Show

eurbani

It was less than a year ago when I posted this: http://forums.lighto...hat-i-am-crazy/

A couple of people tried to dissuade me from my 10 controller plan. I wound up with 10 PC controllers, a LOR800W and a DC controller. Sheesh! That's 184 channels! Of course, I'm only using 173 of them.

I only did two songs, but plan to add one a week between now and Christmas.

Here are my videos. (Sorry, about the sound quality.)

Let me know what you think. FYI: 18,961 lights and 2 RGB, DMX floods.

You can like my show on facebook.

Edited by eurbani

As a newbie, I think you did good. You have a lot to work with there. Listening to the music and considering how many channels you have available, there's a lot more you can do but yeah, it takes time to sequence as we all know. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next year since you have the hardware now! As for those telling you to go easy the first year, good advice for some but not all. I too jumped in with both feet this first year out so you go for it!

I think that the advice to start slow is good advice. I had x-10 controlled lights before. It is no where near the same, but it wasn't like I was going from a small completely static display to large synchronized display. I went from a fairly-large somewhat-automated display to a slightly-larger fully-automated display.

Things that surprised me:

• I have a medium-sized tote of 3-way adapters and power strips. I hardly used any of those. Now that I think about it, I shouldn't have been surprised.
  • The learning-curve for sequencing was not as steep as I feared. Best advice that I received here was touch every menu and button in the sequence editor to see what they all do. Second best advice, use tracks!
  • I think that I spent more time making extension cords than I did sequencing. Thank goodness that I won't have to make as many next year (since so many are done already).