Light-O-Rama Forums

Waterproofing RJ45's

bob_moody

What is a 4 letter word meaning heart attack ??? answer ..... rain ..

I thought for a moment I lost my J1Sys-D2 controller, power supply and 8 DMX North Poles.. Good news is.. all is fine .. The DMX controller box was on the same circuit as the LOR box for my yard grid and the GFI tripped.. and is remains so as of this writing (but thats another topic) ..

My 8 DMX North poles are built using the the Holiday Coro method for power injection along with 3-way spitters to daily chain them together..

I blew out any moisture in each of the connections but I did notice a few black traces in the connectors. Now I dont know if this is oxidation, or actual arcing of the DC...

BUT.. what I'm looking for is a best practice for keeping the rain out of the 3 ways. I know we dont like taping up connections.. but maybe a baggie taped at the top to act as a general umbrella?

I'm thinking of ways to redesign the data and power I/O but for now I need to add something to help protect..

Thanks for any input and feedback...

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

I emailed Bob directly but the #1 method I've found to date for waterproofing connections in a non-mechanical method (bags, boxes, tape, etc) is CorrosionX

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=corrosionx+90102

It absolutely works like a charm. There is some other stuff that is used by the "professionals" and is "for trade only" and causes cancer but the corrosionx is safe to use.

FYI... Part #90102

Bob are your "power injected" connections just sitting out in the open? Others have found that to be a bad idea - as they aren't moisture-resistant at all and the pins are too close together to avoid shorting out.

What we did for our poles was to use a double surface-mount jack on each pole. The RJ connections point down, and the top of the jack is sealed. Theoretically the water will shed off the top of the jack, and not go backwards against gravity up into the jacks.

archholder2.jpg

thanks Tim!!!

Great idea ..

My RGB NorthPoles were so late in the game, they cant even be considered and after thought ... more like a "What was that?"

I do have the "rain facing" end taped up and the input/output connections are down ...

I did just pick up several booted Belkin cables (like what your showing) that should help resolve part of the issue.

I will be reworking these a little after the season to make them a little more ..... "season proof"...

I appreciate the help..

Bob

I keep it dumb simple - " Electrical Tape". Never had an issue and i have a ton of DMX Floodlights with about 40 Cat5 cables running in my yard in new england even in the snow. Works like a charm.

PS. CorrosionX i also have but no need for as of yet.