Light-O-Rama Forums

My cluster of questions.

vcand

Hello,

I'm posting here because I am a bit lost. I'm about to purchase my first system and have a series of question that are driving me nuts.

1) Im trying to decide on a commander and I would prefer going the cheaper route, but...

I understand that in order to 'schedule' a show I'll need the DC-MP3. What is confusing me is programing it. Can I program multiple shows? Like, can I schedule 6p to 10p a show with lots of action, then from 10p-6am have it run a milder show, automatically? Not looking to aggitate code enforcement natzi's around here.

In contrast to that, would it be possible with the Mini Director to program one long show (ie 12 hrs) and in that, I could just simply line up the sequences for the action show, maybe 5 sequences added over and over totalling 4 hours (6p-10p) and then add milder sequences over and over totalling 8 hours worth (10p-6a), and then just use an external timer to kick on the power, sequences start, and a crudely programmed show?

2) About the controllers.

I was looking at the solder kit (build your own) and I noticed it said "These are early controllers", does that mean a loss of functionality? Like, apparently (if I read it correctly) the newer controllers control LED lights, does this not have this functionality because it is the "early controller"?

3) About the Supply Cordset.

When selecting the supply cordset, I just want to verify that the "DUAL" is 2 supply cords each 15a, correct? I'm running my own power to the box and I've got 2 15a circuits already ran and want to make sure I order the right supply cord.

Thanks for your help!

I use the DC-MP3 Showtime Director and wouldn't use the min Director because I love being able to do exactly what you're wanting to do and the Showtime Director having the built in time clock/battery backed up, I just set it and leave it once I have my shows written to the SD Card, The DC-MP3 Showtime Director is very simple to program using the LOR Hardware Utility and clicking the MP3 tab, just set the times you want your show to run and the Showtime Director does it all for you.

My current show goes like this:

Show 01 - Main Show 5pm-12am {midnight} daily

Show 02 - Overnight Lights on/animated 12:00am-6:55am daily

Show 03 - All Lights OFF - 6:55am-6:59am daily

Show 04 - Single Channel sequences that play Christmas Music and/or announcements from 7:00am - 4:55pm

The Director units can run up to 9 different shows through the HWU MP3 Tab. Once you do it a few times it just becomes easier and easier.

The show can be as long or as short as you want it by just setting the show times in the HWU.

The older controllers WILL control LED's, I use a combination of LED and Incans in my display. The only issue is after you reach about 3 strands of LEDs on a channel, you may or may not require a snubber on the LED strands to prevent unwanted flicker or immediate turn off at the end of a fade. Search for Snubbers to learn more about what they are, how to build them and use. They are basically nothing more than a resistor across an ~AC~ plug put at the end or beginning of a LED strand. The new GEN3 Controllers have the snubber built into them.

And yes, your number 3 is correct, 2 cords for power, 15 amps per side, 15 amp max channels 1-8, 15 amp max channels 9-16.

Hope this helps answer your questions and concerns.

Edited by Orville