Light-O-Rama Forums

Lamp Cord pros and cons

columbus27

I think next season I am going to convert over to spt-1 or 2.

1. which one do you prefer 1 or 2
  2. who has the best deals
  3. pros and cons on the plugs
  4. is there a better option

1. I use SPT 1, the only difference is in the thickness of the insulation.

2. I get all of mine from Skycraft sales and Surplus in Orlando Florida, usually about 10 cents a foot.

3. Home Depot has them online only in like Oct and Nov, buy them quick, they usually run out.

4. In my opinion, no.

Edited by shfr26

Not really any cons.

SPT1 is fine for most applications, especially with leds. SPT2 maybe for some heavier duty applications or rodent protection.

Better options? Bigger wallet.

Much cheaper than buying extnesion cords.

You can make them any length you need, this way you don't have to coil up the excess.

If you have a number of cords which start together and end together, you can zip tie them together to create a kind of wiring harness.

I like to label the male ends of mine so I know where they go when I set up. For example 09-12 would be controller 09 - channel 12.

Most of my display is four colors (White, Green, Red, and Blue), so I often color code the female end with colored electricians tape, I just wrap it around the wire. Depending on what prop the wires are for I may also number the female plugs. This makes setup a lot easier for me.

Jerry

i started planning too late this year to get any wire shipped. Ended up with HD 250' x 2 spools of spt2, about $50 or 20 c / ft. Not great $$ but after stringing about 350 ft of ext cords, I can't believe I ever used pre-made cords, regardless of the price.

• Like 1

I have used the "soft plastic" from Christmaslights.com and some hard plastic vampire plugs I got cheaper somewhere else-don't remember where.

I have had a good number of problems with the "hard plastic" plugs. The "soft" ones have worked fine for several years with no issues.

I make wire "looms" and ty rap them together. and color code or label the ends.with a sharpie. It makes it easier to hook up.

I have bought all mine from CDI. They are having a sale here pretty quick (like next week or so).

I love those things. Saves ALOT of money purchasing extension cords AND you can have a nice "cord management" in the process. Make them to the length you actually need.

Nothing is worse than a bunch of orange extension cords sprawled all over the place in a display, especially when seen during the day.