Light-O-Rama Forums

LED lights vs Traditional Christmas ligts

sammydlc

Well i first I am really exited about this new hobby i am about to pickup. I finially conviced my wife to let me do some christmas light experiment. My question is

Do i need to use LED lights to work with LOR? I have over 10000 traditional christmas lights and would hate to stop using them.

Thank you

SAM

Incans work just fine (and in some cases, better). With incans you need to pay a little more attention to power consumption as it is much easier to exceed the current capacity of each LOR channel or controller.

You have to be very specific on the LEDs you use.. not every brand will work.. as an example, Martha Stewart may know how to bake a cake or deck a house but she doesnt know jack about dimming LEDs.. They will not work with LOR.. so stick with incands now, spend the next year (assuming there is one in three weeks) buying them from our list of online vendors.

"spend the next year (assuming there is one in three weeks) ..."

You doubt there will be? Even the Mayans agree there will be a 2013. What it looks like OTOH, is another story for a different thread.

For now, TGEU&R (Thank God Everything's Up & Running).

BTW, I enjoyed Phoenix when I lived out there though the surface of the Sun may be a few degrees cooler. ;)

LED's of course use very little power plus they appear to be more intense in color. Incans though, seem to have a softer light and certainly zero issues dimming but they draw a huge amount of power. Incans are certainly cheaper which of course is a plus and they are easier to troubleshoot BUT their lifetime is very limited compared to LED's. Incans have lifetime issues turning on/off whereas LED's could care less. So, my opinion only, use LED's for everything you want bright and use incandescents for areas where you may wish a softer light. I'm about %90 led's in my display.