Light-O-Rama Forums

How many light strands can you put on a single channel?

Craig Draghi

I was just wondering how many light strands could i put on a single channel? What is the absolute limit? I have the regular incandescent light bulb strands. Some strands have 100 light bulbs others have 150 light bulbs. Right now I think the most strands on one channel is 3, can I go more, like five or six?

Thanks for your help!

You can go up to 8 amps per channel.

However, you are limited to 15amps total per side, and 30 amps overall.

I just want to make sure I and understanding this correctly. I have two16 Channel Controllers, so each controller can take 30 amps? And when you say 15 amps per side you mean like channels 1-8 is one side and channels 9-16 is the other side and each are limited to 15amps?

A set of 100 count incandescent mini lights draw approximatley 1/3 of an amp.

Would you or anyone for that matter know how many amps a singe flood light is? I think its just a regular flood light not like an LED or anything.

I just want to make sure I and understanding this correctly. I have two16 Channel Controllers, so each controller can take 30 amps? And when you say 15 amps per side you mean like channels 1-8 is one side and channels 9-16 is the other side and each are limited to 15amps?

Would you or anyone for that matter know how many amps a singe flood light is? I think its just a regular flood light not like an LED or anything.

You are correct on the 15 amps per side. As to the flood light, what is the wattage of the bulb?

To figure out amps, follow this formula: Amps = Watts divided by Volts. So if you have a 100 watt bulb and your outlet outputs 120 volts, you would draw .83 amps.

Hint: watt-o-meter, watt-o-meter, watt-o-meter, watt-o-meter, watt-o-meter

Available everywhere for only a few bucks. Check each channel with all the lights on and check each of the main controller cords with all lights on. This tool is MANDATORY if you want assurance that you aren't going to overload anything.

I was just wondering how many light strands could i put on a single channel? What is the absolute limit? I have the regular incandescent light bulb strands. Some strands have 100 light bulbs others have 150 light bulbs. Right now I think the most strands on one channel is 3, can I go more, like five or six?

Thanks for your help!

Also on incan strands, you should still not exceed the manufacturers limitation found in the instructions and I believe on the little tag on the strand. Most incan strands are limited to to a specific number depending on bulb count, as they could possibly overheat the light strand wiring and start a fire.